Monday, August 3, 2015

Book Review: Maybe Today



Today I want to tell you about a little book that could change your life.  It's called Maybe Today A Simple Approach to A Soul-Satisfying Life by David Butler and Emily Belle Freeman.

One of my life goals this year has been to seek peace in my life.  I have had some amazing experiences as I've actively tried to be a more peaceful person doing peaceful things.  This little book is definitely something that I will read over and over because it offers quotes and thoughts that touched me and that I want to keep foremost in my mind.  Soul-satisfying and peace seemed to go hand in hand for me, and this book uses patterns and scriptural references to the Savior's life in a way that I hadn't thought about before.

The book starts out with how life can be so ordinary. You roll out of bed, plug into the world, and know it will be one of those days.  But what if you made it something else?  Then it discusses five Holy Patterns from our Savior's life so we can live a soul-satisfying life. They're simple. Nothing earth-shattering, but it made me think, yeah, I can do that. Wow, I'd never thought of that. And, okay, let's do this.

I've started actively trying to implement one pattern into my life per week.  Honestly, I've noticed a difference and I think this is something I'd like to make a habit.  For example, taking a compassionate detour.  My life is busy and I have a list of things I have to do in a day, but lately I've been looking for those compassionate detours that help me serve someone else.  It's hard to explain, (you have to get this book!) but it's such a simple thing, and when you truly notice the opportunity and take it, what a difference it makes!

There was a quote in the book by James McNeill Whistler that I want to put on my fridge and my mirror and in my car so I can read it and remember. It was exactly what I needed to hear the day I read it and many days since.  There are quotes by Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert Frost to name a few. They all are used to illustrate the patterns discussed in the book and they add a perspective that gives extra meaning to the points the authors are trying to make.

It's a short little book, but it's filled with a lot of big ideas that can change your life. They've definitely changed mine for the better.  This is one for the keeper shelf.

You can get your hardback copy here for $12.17

No comments: