Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Word Count Wednesday

Well, I had critique group last night, so you know what that means.  I rolled into bed at 1 a.m. because we didn't end until after midnight.  But I have to say it was totally worth it.  We laughed so hard, ate yummy frozen yogurt, and then we got down to business.  And, even though it was tempting to just go over our comments and reviews for time's sake, we went ahead and read the chapters out loud.  Honestly, I think that is the best way to critique because we find more errors in grammar and syntax by reading aloud than any other way.  And plus, it's sort of fun to hear our interpretation of accents and teenage sarcasm.  What do you think about reading your manuscripts aloud?  I'd never really done it consistently until I got into this critique group and I have to say I'm sold on it. 

I think another reason I love this critique group (besides the company) is that I feel so motivated to write the next day (or later in the same day as the case may be).  So I'm writing up a storm today and it feels good. 

I finished some major revisions last week and I'm feeling really good about where this manuscript is.  My word count was just under 2000, but considering I was revising and not really writing, I'm pretty proud of that.

How did you do this week?

7 comments:

rebecca h jamison said...

I wrote about 500 words this week--not the best week. I didn't write every weekday like I usually do. It really makes a difference to keep up the daily writing sessions.

Debra Erfert said...

So glad you had a good time in your book group. Reading aloud does help. When I'm alone, I read passages of my manuscript out loud to see if it flows smoothly.

This week I finished my cover letter--I think, and I'm almost halfway through with the synopsis. And I wrote a 563 word blog for ANWA Founders and Friends due out on Friday (that was easy). Uh . . . what else? I washed my dishes.

Jordan McCollum said...

You know how I feel about reading your work aloud—it's a vital step, but it can't be the only measure of whether writing works because speech, with accents and inflection and pauses, can make almost nonsensical sentences make sense.

I'm gradually getting better at reading it aloud in front of other people. Or maybe I just haven't brought anything of my own in a while ;) .

Jordan McCollum said...

Oh, and writing—I added about 5500 words to my MS in the last revision which was last week. Woot! Now to catch up on reading.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Jordan, I'm sort of wondering if you're saying that my stuff is nonsense but anyone can make it sound good with the right inflection. haha! Well, I do enjoy your reading skills. :)

In all seriousness, though, I agree that reading aloud is only one step in a long process of editing. I was never as sold on it before as I have been with my critique group, though. Congrats on the 5500 words!

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Rebecca, even 500 words is progress. Congratulations!

Debra, I bet your family is glad you got the dishes done. And that's awesome you're getting so much done on your cover letter and synopsis. It's harder than it looks!

C. Michelle Jefferies said...

I actually wrote yesterday and the day before. On two seperate MS, but it was still writing. One of them I was sure the story was dead and I was going to have to give up on it, bur I finally found out what I was missing. Whew! I love the story and hated the idea of giving up. So about 500 on my word count.

I am also in the middle of wedding preperations, my son is getting married on June 8th and I am making the invitations. I am busy busy busy on that one.