Monday, April 23, 2012

The Never-Ending To-Do List for WriterMoms

Friday marked a red-letter day for me.  The words were flowing and I finished a major revision on my chapter that really set the stage for the rest of the book.  I was feeling so motivated to work on my chapters, a feeling I haven't had in quite a while.

Saturday came around and I spent the morning teaching a class for scouts (I was a merit badge counselor).  In the back of my mind my story scenes were running non-stop and I couldn't wait to get to my computer and get going.  When I got home, I took care of lunch for my kids, and got the little ones down for naps and I practically ran downstairs to my computer.  Unfortunately, my husband was getting ready to paint the ceiling right above my computer and there was plastic everywhere.  Thwarted again.

When he finished, the babies were awake and my husband turned to me and said, "Let's take the kids to feed the ducks." 

I looked longingly at my computer keyboard, the story scenes begging me to write them down, but at the same time I looked at my children's faces, alight with the excitement of seeing ducks.  There wasn't even a question.

We went to feed the ducks.

I will never forget the look on my baby's face when a duck landed so close to him with her six babies he could almost touch them, and the sound of his laughter as a turtle next to the boardwalk swam close.  My little girl squealed with delight when the ducks ate the bread she offered and came closer and closer wanting more. 

It was a glorious afternoon.

We went out to dinner and got home late and I didn't think of the computer or my story once as we relived the day together.  Oh, I know the pull of a story is always there for a writer, simmering in the background, and as a mom my to-do list is long and sometimes feels never-ending, and I have to find balance that works for me.  But for now, it is afternoons like the one we shared last Saturday that will make the memories my children will remember for a lifetime and it was worth every second away from my computer.

My story isn't anywhere near done, but I know I'll get there.  And in the meantime, I'll think about fun and laughter and children's smiles. 

Because I'm a WriterMom.

7 comments:

Jon Spell said...

Tangential question: where do you go to feed the ducks?

My wife took the tots down to a duck pond in Provo, somewhere west of State around 800 N? Just curious. She said there were a LOT of people there feeding them. (The ducks, I mean.)

Debra Erfert said...

You're a good mom, Julie!

Jordan McCollum said...

You ARE a good mom, Julie! I have a really hard time disengaging from my story world sometimes (a lot of the time), so finding that balance can be really hard. But I love the reminder that it's worth the struggle to find it!

C. Michelle Jefferies said...

It's so hard to take the time away from the story when it's right there wanting or even screaming to be written. However if all our kids remember is us sitting at the computer, what's the point of having kids?

I try to get everything done before nap time, however, today writing never happened. Oh well.

Michelle J

KaseyQ said...

One of my goals for yesterday was to get some work e-mailed out to people who had volunteered to critique for me. Fortunately, God had other plans for me and made my internet go down for the afternoon, so instead of me clicking away on my computer and my husband surfing on his iPad, we put the littlest down for a nap and played Monopoly with the older two until dinnertime. So fun!!

Tracy Krauss said...

the to do list never goes away, either. Even when the kids are all grownup, life still gets in the way. :)

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Jon, we were down at the duck pond on the south end of campus! Maybe we saw her.

Jordan and Debra, thank you. :)

Michelle, I totally agree.

Kasey, those are sweet memories for sure.

Tracy, thanks for being a ray of hope. haha!