Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Word Count Wednesday

This very strange thing happened to me. You remember a couple of weeks ago, I was complaining about not being able to write the finale for this book and how that had never happened to me before? Then, in the comments, someone said well maybe you haven't plotted out the villain well enough so that's why you can't write the finale. And I thought, that could be true, but then I looked at my character bible and thought, no, I've plotted and think I have a pretty good villain.

But I still couldn't write the dang finale. And then the very strange thing happened.

I had a nightmare and was awakened at 3 a.m. because of it. There I was, in the middle of the night, trying to push the thoughts of a very realistic nightmare away, when suddenly I saw a minor character in my book as the villain. I let the thoughts flow and suddenly I had all these ideas come to me on how he could be a very well-rounded villain that no one would suspect and how it added a little more oomph to the story to have him be the villain instead of my current villain. And in my mind, the end practically wrote itself.

The problem is making a minor character into a villain is going to take a bit of revision. Or maybe a lot of revision. But I know if I do it the story will be stronger. *sigh* The price we pay to have a tight manuscript.

So, that's what I've been doing this morning. Fleshing out the villain, and starting in on the changes. I know my word count will be small over the next little bit, but seeing that amazing finale go from an idea in my mind to written words on a page will make all the effort worth it. Right? Right.

How did you do this week?

8 comments:

Gina said...

I'm DONE!!!

I'm doing final revisions- little tiny tweaks and copy-editing stuff, but otherwise, IT'S DONE!!!

Ended up with just over 60K :)

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Gina, I'm so HAPPY for you! *doing the happy dance* Congratulations! :)

Jordan McCollum said...

Hooray Gina!

Hooray Julie! I can't wait to see it! I had something similar happen to me--remember how I was running out of words? You suggested that "help" comes, but it's really something worse, which I loved, but then I realized I had everything I needed in a minor character to become the big bad villain. :D

Debra Erfert said...

Yes, Julie, revising the minor character into the villain he's calling out to be is worth it! You'll be happier once you're done.

I don't have any word count per se, but I do have a completed manuscript. My two critiquers are finished and I revised what little they thought was necessary. Now I'm just trying to write that nasty one page synopsis and the two paragraph teaser for my cover letter before sending this latest baby off to submission.

I did start outlining yet another contemporary romantic suspense manuscript, one that is so filling my head it's pushing that historical romance to the curb. I guess that H/R will need to go on the back burner for a while.

Janice Sperry said...

I've been trying put some semblance of a query together for the LDStormymakers query workshop. I made it in! And now my stomach is in knots because I did. lol. I just have to remind myself that I submitted it because I knew it needed help. So my word count is about 100 words. :) I'm so excited about the conference this year.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Julie, the revisions will be worth it! Don't you love it when the book comes together?

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Jordan, I can't wait to read it! Sounds so good.

Debra, you amaze me. Seriously.

Janice, I won't be there this year and I'm so bummed about it. You'll have to give me the blow by blow. :)

Al, I do love it when it comes together. It's the best feeling in the world. :)

rebecca h jamison said...

I got about 1000 words last week. I'm also working on my villain and feeling like he's not quite there yet. I have been working on his backstory some this week. I like your idea of a character bible. I've never been that organized about it--just some notes here and there--so maybe that's what I need.