Monday, September 29, 2014

Book Review: How Do I Know If I Know?

I apologize for posting so late today. Blogger and I have this thing where about once a month it doesn't want to let me sign in for some reason. Obviously I need to bring it some chocolate or something as a peace offering.




Today I am reviewing John Bytheway's book, How Do I Know If I Know?  I love John Bytheway's style because he is so easy to read and conversational in tone, yet the topics are presented in such a way that important principles are taught.  This book is no different.

He begins by discussing how our testimony of truth is like a dimmer switch.  We can gradually add light and burn bright with what we do know.  He tells several anecdotal stories that really illustrate what he's trying to teach and ties it up nicely with FEEL.  We can know how we know through our Feelings, Experiences, Evidences, and Logic.  Each "line" adds to the whole in answering the question of the book title.  I found myself nodding my head several times as the author presented ideas that I had thought of, but couldn't adequately express.  I loved this book and recommend it to anyone, teen or adult, who wants to evaluate where their testimony is at and where it could be strengthened.

Here is the back copy:

It's spiritual gut-check time! The mission age has been lowered, and now more than ever, young people are asking themselves important questions:

*How do I know if I really have a testimony?
*Am I ready to serve a mission?

*What does the Spirit feel like?

John Bytheway suggests that we "F.E.E.L." the truthfulness of the gospel through our feelings, our experiences, the many evidences we encounter, and our logical conclusions about how a loving God interacts with His children on the earth. Like gradually turning up a dimmer switch, understanding all the ways we F.E.E.L. our testimony will help it grow brighter.

As you read, you may discover that your testimony is stronger than you thought, and you'll also become more excited and motivated to let your light shine!

If this sounds like a book you might be interested in click here to download it.


2 comments:

Jon Spell said...

It's after midnight and I can't wait to see your Castle write up. Tap, tap, tap. Maybe I should sleep on it. ;)

Debra Erfert said...

That was an interesting sounding book. You know, when the age limit for missionaries was dropped, I thought it was a good idea, but then we have been dealing with a lot of immature young men, lately, and now I'd love to have them have another year of growth under their belts before they come out. The sister missionaries are fine, though.