Friday, November 10, 2023

It's Remembrance Day Tomorrow


It's Remembrance Day tomorrow and I couldn't let the occasion go by without talking about my grandpa (the one on the left). 

He served two tours in Korea, was wounded, and was awarded medals for saving others, including one from the president of the United States. He didn't talk a lot about his war experiences, but the few stories he told me were ones that I could tell were etched in his mind's eye forever. He had some struggles after the war, as many veterans do, but he worked hard to overcome them. He was a wonderful grandpa to me. 

He called me every Sunday and on New Year's, and came to visit me once a year. He was constantly volunteering for organizations in his community (there were so many that I eventually lost track) and the year he died, he was named Volunteer of the Year for all of his service to others. I love him and miss him and I'm so very grateful for the service he gave to his country.

No comments: