Monday, November 13, 2023

A Book I'm Still Thinking About


Did you ever have a book touch your heart and give you a different perspective on life? That's what Heather Moore's Under a Java Moon did for me. I read it last month, but I'm still thinking about it! 

The book is set during WWII and based on a true story about a young Dutch family who is caught in the Japanese occupation of the Dutch East Indies. In all the books I’ve ever read that are set during WWII, none of them took place in the Dutch East Indies. I had no idea the things that the Dutch and Indonesian people went through during that time period, but Ms. Moore uses her talents to really bring the era to life and pulls the reader in from the very first page.

The story is told from three perspectives—George Vischer, his wife Mary, and his daughter Rita. The author is able to give each character a compelling personality that comes through on the page. Readers will feel as if they are close friends of the Vischer family, which makes what happens to them so gripping.

I think this is one of the best books Heather Moore has done and is well worth the read. 

No comments: