Wednesday, March 16, 2022

They're Finally Here!



My author copies of A Métis Christmas: Thelma's Gift are finally here! I got one hardcover and one softcover and they are SO beautiful! 

I've been thinking and dreaming about this book for so long, it's surreal to finally hold it in my hand. The entire project was such a labor of love. I sent the illustrator pictures of family members that he could use for inspiration and I see them in the book. I hear my grandma's voice whenever I read "my girl." I smell the bannock and hear the fiddle music when I look at the pictures. I love that I can not only share a beautiful culture with the world, but also my family and part of my heart.

Here's the back copy:

Thelma, a young Metis girl, can hardly wait for Christmas, and it is the night before the big day. Her family is celebrating with lots of food, including Thelma’s favorite jam with bannock, and her father will dress in his traditional clothing to tell them the ancestor stories---but all Thelma wants to do is her best, most fancy, jigging dance. Stopping for a moment so her grandmother can read the story of the Christ child’s birth, Thelma wonders what she could have given the baby had she been there that special night---and then her heart tells her what gift she can give right now!

You can get your copy here

No comments: