Monday, March 28, 2022

In the Non-Fiction Corner with Lauren

Before picking up her book Far Above Rubies, Tamara Uzelac Hall was an unfamiliar name to me. Now, I cannot wait to get my hands on everything this incredible woman has written and somehow become her best friend! I cannot say enough good about this book. 

As I was nearing the end of my reading, I was trying to calculate how much it would cost to buy a box of these books and give them to all the women in my life, it is that good! Hall is hilarious, brilliant, and has had so many experiences in her life that will make it hard to put the book down. 

Yes, a book about one proverb in the Old Testament. I, too, was skeptical that a wildly thought-provoking and insightful book could be written on just a few Old Testament verses, but now I’m wishing I could have Tamara Hall expound on every chapter of scripture for me.

One thing that I particularly loved about this book is that it is chock-full of Hebrew translations that helped me gain new meaning from these verses. The author puts them into context, translates them, and then uses an example from her own life to teach in such a beautiful way. There are also note pages after every chapter so you can record your insights as you read. 

One part of the book that struck me is that God is referred to as “I AM” in the scriptures. That is also the answer we give when someone asks us if we are willing to do something, or make a covenant. Hall writes, “Dr. Black pointed out that when we answer in His name, I Am, we acknowledge that we may not be perfect at keeping our covenants but that through His enabling power, we can.” There are so many gems like this throughout the entire book.

A five star Old Testament read!




Get your copy HERE

Here's the back copy:

Who can find a virtuous woman? This is an age-old question that can both inspire and intimidate. The saintly sister described in Proverbs 31 is nothing short of astonishing: an ideal wife and mother, a valued contributor to society, and a tireless proponent of all that is good and right. In viewing these qualities as a goal, women can often fall prey to this passage’s common outcome: feelings of discouragement and inadequacy. Many women are left to wonder, Who could possibly embody such a perfect specimen of womanhood?

With Hebrew, humor, and reassurance, author Tamara Uzelac Hall injects a much-needed dose of reality into women’s interpretation of this section of scripture with this truth: all of us are virtuous. This book teaches how to embrace the unique and impactful role you already play and will help you discover a truth that will change the way you view your life: no matter your progress on the path, thou art already a virtuous woman!

No comments: