Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Midnight Sun


So, in case you haven't heard, Stephenie Meyer has released Midnight Sun, which is the story from Twilight but told in Edward's perspective. Ten years ago, an unfinished rough draft of her manuscript for Midnight Sun was leaked and Stephenie said then that she wouldn't finish it. But then she did.

I admit, I'm curious. It's been so long since I read Twilight that this might seem like a new book for me and from what I've heard, there are some unexpected twists and turns. A lot of people seem to be talking about it and they all have strong opinions.

Here's my question: Are you going to read it? It's a bit expensive ($14.99 for the Kindle version) but it might be a fitting end to see things from a vampire's view.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Heidi Reads... said...

I borrowed a friends's copy to read before I considered forking out the money. I'm not going to buy it after all.
Here's my review:
I'm glad I read it, but I didn't connect emotionally the way I did with Twilight. Edward's thought process was focused so much more on observing and analyzing, and I missed the romantic element. Fun to revisit, but would have also enjoyed new scenes with Edward and Bella. I liked the insight into how Edward's mind reading worked, especially in unison with Alice's talents. Also appreciated the new (I think) tidbit about Edward and Rosalie's history.

A friend's review also pointed out that it was hard to enjoy the romance because Edward felt so guilty about everything (like EVERYTHING, and ALL THE TIME). I think for the majority of the book he wasn't allowing himself to take any enjoyment in his relationship with Bella. and as soon as he does, the bad vampires show up and he's back to feeling guilty again. I think I would have preferred to just have highlights or new scenes from Edward's perspective from the first three books wrapped into one, rather than a very drawn out play-by-play that didn't tell us much more than we could gather from reading Twilight.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Oh, thanks for letting me know! That sounds so disappointing. :( Sigh.