Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Word Count Wednesday (And A Weird Writer Problem)

So, in coming out of my slump, I've been doing A LOT of preparation in anticipation of my book RING AROUND THE ROSIE being released at the end of the month. Woohooo!

The problem is, when I was in my writing slump, I didn't really take all my critique group's notes and make the changes as we went along. I was struggling, down in the dumps, whatever you want to call it, so the critique group notes just piled up on my desk.  All twenty-one chapters worth.  That, my friends is a big problem.

Do you know why that is a problem?  Because when you are dealing with multiple critiques and you haven't done it as you've gone along, you have a BOATLOAD of notes and changes and even an organization issue in trying to figure out which critique partner said what for which chapter so you can figure out if what they said there has any bearing on previous chapters . . . well, you get the picture.  My living room floor is currently covered with paper piles while I sort it all out.  Bad Julie. (I know, I know, I have weird writer problems.)

The good news is, I'm plowing through all the changes and I'm SO HAPPY to be writing again. There is something really happy about writing. I'm glad I'm a writer.

Since I'm making changes and not much else, my word count has been small, just over 2000, but I love how the story has been shaped and molded and I can't wait to see what you think of it!

How did you do this week?

3 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

I can imagine your paperwork lying all around you, and I don't envy your chore. But if that is what will get you back on track, then YAY! I'm so happy for you, and I can't wait to read this next book. Okay, I know I will have to wait, but…well, you know what I mean. ;D

This week I finished with my content edits for Relative Evil, and started on the line edits. Xchyler Pub went from using Dropbox to transfer the chapters back and forth, to using Google Drive. Learning to use both of these programs was a challenge and took quite a bit of time. It cut into my writing, although I did get 3,384 words written in my WIP since last Wednesday. Yay, again!

Jon Spell said...

The database organizer in me says you should get some index cards, number the pages from your critique group, then use the index cards to help group related pages. (I love the index card feature in Scrivener)

Google Drive has a learning curve, from my experience. (Google Docs, too.) Comes in handy, though.

Good luck, both of you. Looking forward to reading the published Evil from you, Debra! =)

Debra Erfert said...

Thanks, Jon!