Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Some Days I Want to Give Up, But Nathan Fillion Keeps Me Going

I know I usually blog about Castle and Hawaii Five-O on Tuesdays, but I have to get something off my chest first.

Sometimes I want to give up writing.  It's hard to find time for it, only to stress over it, and pour your heart into it and wonder if it's any good.  It's hard to have people give you harsh reviews on something you love, and it's hard to have people write you mean emails when you're just trying to do your best.  It's true, I'm not the best writer in the world, (unless you're talking to my parents, family, or my best friends and fans) but I love my stories and most of the time I love sharing them.  Please, if you're ever tempted to write an email or a cutting review, remember there's a real live person on the other end of that who will read it, obsess about it, and maybe even cry over it.  So, be gentle.  Be kind.  You can be honest, but be constructive.  Do unto others and all that.  (There is always an upside to writing, of course, and I do love that there's balance, but sometimes the bad is hard to take.  I apologize if this sounds like whining, but I really did need to get that off my chest.)

*deep breath*

Okay, Castle.  Last night's show felt a little reminiscent of the 3XK storyline, but I still liked it.  Castle is very resourceful and I love the dynamic between him and Beckett.  I love that he calls her Kate.  I love how the sparks still fly when they're together and the arguing about the parents was funny.  Even Gates is starting to fit in better.  Although my son that was watching mentioned to me that you don't need a code on a phone to make an emergency phone call.  So, oops on that I guess.  But Castle's effort to decode the password was funny.  Oh, and I found this on Facebook last night.  I think it will definitely help my sagging word count (and sagging spirits) if I hang it by my desk.


Let's just look at that a little longer, shall we?

*le sigh*  Maybe I should write.  Nathan Fillion (aka Castle) wants me to.  No matter what anyone else says.

Oh yeah, Hawaii Five-O.  Dang good last night.  I love kick-butt Kono, and the guys worrying about her. Poor Chin.  He's had a tough couple of months.  But all's well.  Super Steve took care of business and Kono mopped it up.  (Those masks the kidnappers wore were seriously creepy.  *shiver*)  And did you recognize the actor that played the dad?  Bueller?  Bueller?

I seriously love Monday nights.

So, do you have a picture that motivates you as well as the one posted above?

5 comments:

mooderino said...

I keep expecting to see him photo bombing himself over his shoulder.

mood
Moody Writing

rebecca h jamison said...

I hear you on the reviews. I just try to remember that God gave us this talent because he wants clean books out there for people to read. Some people read a lot, which means we need at least 300 new clean books a year in every genre. You can do it!

Debra Erfert said...

Yes, the whole world needs clean books to read, and yours are exciting enough to keep us involved and loving them. It sounds like some jealous idiot was voicing their own frustrations out on you. Don't listen to them. We need to steamroll over them! Let's do this!!!

Great picture, by the way. He gets better looking the older he gets. So not fair...

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

mooderino that would be funny!

Rebecca, thanks for that perspective. I hadn't thought about it that way.

Debra, get your steamroller for me, will ya? And yeah, he does get better looking . . . *stares at picture again* I should be writing. :)

Jon Spell said...

Let me know if you find a similar picture for Kate. ;)

She was just awesome in last night's ep. She had a couple of scenes in the basement where she just looked so emotionally intense, I wanted to hug her through the screen.

I'm proud to say that I picked out the bad guy early on, mostly thanks to the movie, The Usual Suspects. Loved seeing the Closer actor as Micky Dolan (though I smiled each time I heard that - Mickey Dolenz was the drummer for the Monkees.)

I wouldn't worry about it too much, Julie. Readers who aren't writers just don't get it. It's tacky, like telling someone who has just expressed an interest in baseball that it's kind of dull. ;)