Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Word Count Wednesday

Here’s the quote I liked this week:

"Being defeated is often temporary, giving up makes it
permanent."
- Marilyn von Savant

I like that quote because a writing career is full of “setbacks.” Rejections and critiques can make it hard sometimes to feel like you’re a good writer whose stories are worth publishing. That quote just speaks to me on the value of not giving up. Of course it also helps when the words are flowing.

And this has been a wonderful word-flowing week for me. I am so excited because I did great on my word count this week and I’m halfway through my draft. I really like the way the story is shaping up and the way my characters are behaving. Hopefully that will last.

I want to make it my goal to have this thing drafted by the end of July. I think seeing it here in black and white will help me get that done--so I’m saying it out loud. My goal is to have this draft done by July 31st, 2011 at midnight.

What are your writing goals for July?

5 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

My goal is to have my rough draft done by the end of July also. I just don't write as fast as you do. I'm at 58,148 at the moment, so, what? About 25K left? And then a good edit/rewrite? Is 82 thou too long for an LDS romance? Or too short?

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Nope, you're right in the ball park for my publisher at least. Of course you should always check the submission guidelines, since each publisher is different, but I think you're just right.

Maybe if we get our drafts done, we should swap and read/critique it for each other! :)

Debra Erfert said...

Do you read romances? Oh, wait, that's what "Captive Heart" was. *giggles*

Done, deal!

Jon Spell said...

Ah, Marilyn vos Savant! I wonder what she's been up to lately.

(And then I spend 15 minutes reading her Wikipedia page, and putting one of her books on my Amazon wish list.)

Julie: I've just started reading Naked Heat. I would have started with the 1st one, but I found this one in paperback and I just couldn't resist it anymore. I naturally have superimposed the TV characters into the relevant roles in the book. The funny thing is reading lines that don't ring true to the character, but DO sound like something the author would say. (If the author is the fictional Richard Castle.) So far, so good, very enjoyable.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Jon, I must admit that I am reading Heat Wave. You'll have to let me know what you think of Naked Heat. Didn't the third one come out not long ago? (And have you SEEN the spoilers for the season premiere? Wowza!)