Monday, July 25, 2011

O Pioneers!

Yesterday we talked a lot about pioneers because of the holiday in Utah. We have a lot of pioneer heritage, people who walked across the plains in hopes of finally finding religious freedom. But what really struck me was something my daughter said. “We can be pioneers today, not because we’re paving the way with handcarts, but because we’re paving the way with our example.”

I think we are all paving a path for our children and for the people around us every day with our choices and what we choose to do. We can be an example for good or an example of what not to do with every choice we make.

Of course, if I have my druthers, I’d like to be an example for good. Maybe my descendants will read my journal someday and think, wow, she was an awesome lady. (More than likely they’ll probably say, boy, she was boring. Haha!) But hey, a girl can dream, right? And if people are reading my journal, I’m probably dead and won’t care.

So, today, my little thought is that I am grateful to the pioneers of old who sacrificed for a good cause and I’m grateful today for those around me who are pioneers in trying to be examples for good, carrying on in so great a cause. I think I need that and our world needs that.

FHE Dessert Tonight

Tonight we are going to talk about our pioneer ancestors, play pioneer games like “Stick-pulling,” and make pioneer ice cream in a baggie. Here is the recipe in case you want to try it.

Pioneer Ice Cream

1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. sugar
8 tbsp. rock salt

Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into a pint size freezer bag. Seal well.

Fill a large gallon size freezer bag with ice. Add the rock salt.

Put the smaller bag in the big bag and seal it. Then shake, mix, squeeze and squish it until the ice cream thickens, about 10 to 15 minutes. Take the little bag out and eat the ice cream. Makes one serving.

3 comments:

Jon Spell said...

I think they're going to be reading your BOOKS and saying, Wow, what an amazing creative mind! Only then will they read your journals hoping to answer the question "Where did she get her ideas?" ;)

Debra Erfert said...

You not only write all those books, raise babies to teenagers, but you keep a journal too? You're totally amazing, Julie.

My husband found a website www.mormontrail.lds.org where he's been reading about my pioneer great-great grandfather Edson Whipple. He crossed with Brigham Young and actually preceded him into the Salt Lake valley by two days. Reading the day to day journal of someone on the journey is strange. They encountered a lot of snakes and more than a few indians.

The ice cream sounds good. I'll have to try it.

By the way, I finished my first draft WIP last night. I'm now reading it all the way through and trying to find obvious errors. But I can say, I wrote this book! *giggles wildly*

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Jon, I like the way you're thinking! Thank you! :)

Debra, CONGRATULATIONS! There's no other feeling in the world like the one when you FINISH a book! I'm so proud of you! Can't wait to read it.