Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Book Review: Shades of Gray

Want to win an advanced reading copy of my new book, Ribbon of Darkness? Go here for a fun contest!


While I was in the waiting room waiting for my kids to come out of surgery, I was finally able to finish Rachel Ann Nunes’ book, Shades of Gray. I won it in a contest, and since I never win anything, I was pretty excited about it.

Shades of Gray is another Autumn Rain novel. I read Imprints and loved it because the premise is so original. Autumn Rain is a very unique woman who gets “imprints” from different objects that she touches---feelings and impressions that people who have touched those objects give off. In Imprints she is asked to help find a missing young woman. In Shades of Gray she is asked to figure out why a husband has left his young wife and their two children.

I love characters in this series. Autumn is so sure of herself in almost every area except when it comes to the men in her life who care about her. She is anxious to help others, and wanting to cling to her twin sister that she’s barely reconnected with. She’s such a well-rounded character I could easily identify with her and like her.

Shannon, the police detective who is wary of Autumn’s abilities and yet is also attracted to her is by far my favorite character after Autumn. He’s so real and mysterious, I hope that Rachel does a book about him, or at least has a ton more of him in her next book.

Jake, Autumn’s boyfriend is also a fun character, and Tawnia, Autumn’s sister is captivating in her own right. It’s just a really tight cast and totally makes the book worth reading. My only disappointment, and it was purely personal, is that I was hoping a few things relationship-wise would be wrapped up in this book, but they weren’t. I guess I have to wait for the next one. Can I just say I hope the next one comes out soon?

Anyway, I highly recommend the series, and I know there was an introductory one called Eyes of a Stranger, that I need to get because it introduces Autumn through her sister’s story and I want to know all the background.

If you haven’t started this series, you need to! It’s a definite must-read.

Here’s the back copy for Shades of Gray:

Why would a contented husband who has it all simply disappear?

Autumn Rain believes someone from Dennis Brigg’s past has played into his sudden disappearance, and she involves Detective Shannon Martin in the investigation, hoping that together they can find her friend before the past catches up to him.

Meanwhile, Autumn has troubles of her own. Her boyfriend, Jake, has been a great support since her father’s death, but now his old girlfriend, Kolonda, needs his help with the strange events occurring at her rental buildings. Unfortunately, Jake’s help doesn’t seem to be all Kolonda wants. Autumn is equally confused about her own changing feelings for Jake and for Detective Martin.

Both investigations take a dangerous turn, with millions of dollars and many lives at stake, including that of an innocent young boy. Only by reading imprints—emotions left on certain objects—and putting herself at risk can Autumn unravel the mystery and save her friends.

A fast-paced, romantic suspense novel, Shades of Gray is one book you will not want to miss!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

this sounds wonderful! one more to add to my list.

Evelyn said...

This book sounds awesome! I'm excited to read it. :-)

Rebecca Talley said...

I really liked "Imprints" so I want to read this book. I think Autumn is so quirky and she's so funny about Jake. Great review.

Debra Erfert said...

I have "Imprints" on my bookshelf, and I can't read the next one without reading this one first. :) How fun to know its a series.