Thursday, December 11, 2014

Pinterest is a Self-Esteem Killer

Do you know how many times I've been on Pinterest and seen pins with "Super Easy!" or "No Fail Recipe" in the headline?  And it looks like this super cute, extremely easy thing to do?

As a craft-challenged person, but at the same time, an adult woman who can follow directions, I fall for those headlines a lot and think I can do it. It's like when you're trying to deal with your chocolate addiction, but you're standing in line at the grocery store where the chocolate bars are displayed and you think I can resist temptation.  But the longer you linger there, the more the chocolate calls your name, breaking down your defenses, and then when your will crumbles you think, well, one more couldn't hurt, right?

Wrong.

Pinterest draws me in with cute kid projects and the longer I linger there, the more my will to never attempt another project gets.  But look, I tell myself, it says only four simple steps! It looks so easy! One more try couldn't hurt anything, right?

Wrong again.

This week I was making kids' hand ornaments for the Christmas tree.  The pinner assured me she'd done it dozens of times and nothing had ever gone wrong.

Obviously, she's not as craft-challenged as I am.  It just didn't look anything like her cute picture.

At all.

It's just such a downer when I fail at the no fail recipes and can't do the "Super Easy" projects. Dang you, Pinterest, and your self-esteem robbing ways!  *shakes fist*

(But I have to say, these pics of Pinterest projects gone wrong made me laugh and feel a bit better!)

2 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

I've never attempted a craft from Pinterest. Now I'm glad I never tried. You have to be an expert. But I do love their art, and ideas for decorating.

kristine N said...

AMEN!

I use pinterest to help find ideas for kid-friendly activities, but as you noted, all too often my result isn't what's pictured on the pin. Fortunately for me I have a six year old and three year old to blame for the discrepancy, but yeah, sometimes pinterest is just another way to beat myself up over my inadequacy.