Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Do You Keep a Journal?

I love keeping a journal.  It's such a part of me, it helps me sort out feelings and life in general, and keeps me writing every day even if it's not on my book.

For me, I write down everything.  My mistakes, my less than perfect feelings, the good, the bad, and the ugly.  I mostly write my journal for me, but I have let my kids read the things I wrote down when I was a teenager, newlywed and new mom because it's fun for me to reminisce and for them to see what kind of a person I was and what was important to me back then.  (All right, all right, it's a little embarrassing sometimes, but oh well.)

One of the best things about having kept a journal since I was twelve is that I can really go back and see the growth in myself.  I see what I was insecure about then, how I worked through different events in my life, my impressions of my husband when I first met him, (he was cute!) and all the ups and downs of becoming a parent.  It's eye-opening for my kids to read about the long sleepless nights when they had colic and we walked them up and down the hall for hours until we finally figured out that running the vacuum calmed them down.  Or all the fun things we did when we were a young couple and first falling in love.  I love remembering all that, and I know I wouldn't have recalled the details if I hadn't kept a journal.

A journal to me is a chronicle of my life, a remembrance of what I did while on this earth, and a record for my kids of me and my true self.  I love taking a few moments at the end of the day to think through what I did and write down my thoughts and feelings.  It doesn't take long and it's had lasting rewards for me as a person.

Do you keep a journal? Why or why not?

6 comments:

rebecca h jamison said...

I have always kept a journal, but I haven't always written frequently. It's so fun to go back and read about being a teen or a missionary or a young mom. Lately, every night, I write 5 things for which I'm grateful. It makes a ton of difference in the quality of my sleep.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Rebecca, I'd never thought of it in terms of a good night's sleep! How awesome that that works for you. :)

Debra Erfert said...

I don't keep a journal. I'm not organized enough. It's one of my faults, I'm sad to say. I don't see me changing, either.

Tamera Westhoff said...

I try to write in my journal at least once a week (and every time something big happens)! Plus I have journals for my kids, so I try to write in them at least every few months. Sometimes I'm better than other times. I'm trying though!

Unknown said...

When I was in college I wrote faithfully in my journal, pages every day. I'd glue keepsakes into it. It kept me centered so that I could study and deal with room mates and classes. When I left school and went home, I wrote less. For the last few years I have written while waiting for Stake Conference to start. Lately, I don't even do that. I need to get started writing again. I might get a couple of Journals at the distribution center when I'm in SLC next month and make a goal to fill then before my 2014 trip up.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Debra, we love you anyway. :)

Tamera, I have journals for my kids, too. It is so fun to look back and I hope they keep going as adults, as well. And hey, trying is all we can do, right?

Mary, you should. Journal writing is so cathartic and wonderful, really. I hope you do get some to fill up for 2014!