Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Word Count Wednesday

Well, with the amount of deleting and adding and revising I've done, my word count didn't amount to much. I think I'm addicted to revising this manuscript. I know I should stop, but I just can't. I tell myself this will be the last time, but the next day I'm there again, with that handy delete key and another idea for how things should go.

*sigh*

The good news is I still like my story. Sometimes after I've revised it to death I start to hate the story and all its characters, so maybe that's a sign that I'm still okay.

My word count for this week sure wasn't okay, though, and I'm hoping to do better next week.

How did you do?

7 comments:

Rebecca Belliston said...

I have the same issue of being addicted to revising. I keep telling myself the ms is getting better, but who knows. As far as word count, since I started cutting my manuscript, I've added 1500 words. Yes, I realize I'm going the wrong way.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I've started a new book and the number of times I've revised the first chapter is seriously disturbing. I need to push on to chapter two, but I can't seem to summon the nerve. Rather silly of me, I think.

Debra Erfert said...

I didn't work on my WIP this week. Instead, I critiqued two manuscripts for my on-line group. One was just over 50K and the other was 86K. I had fun with both, but it didn't further my writing at all.

Melanie Goldmund said...

I'm having a crisis with my writing, so I'm taking a break while I deal with it.

Stephanie Black said...

I'm making some good progress on my fourth-draft revisions. I'm 2/3 of the way through the manuscript--yay!

Sarah Tokeley said...

Let's just say I'm consistent, and leave it at that :-)

I don't think you can worry about word count when you're revising, you can't do everything! Glad to hear you're almost there :-)

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Rebecca, that's funny because I'm sure every writer out there can identify with that!

Kimberly, I always tell myself that the first chapter will change as the story goes anyways, so I might as well get on with it. Does yours always stay the same?

Debra, you are so sweet to critique for others. I love that about you. :)

Melanie, good for you for recognizing it and taking the break. We're here for you!

Stephanie, YAY! That's awesome.

Sarah, you are such a great support for me. Thank you!