Monday, January 16, 2012

Martin Luther King Day

Most of you know that I'm a fan of Flylady and her principles have helped me get organized. She has a quote from Martin Luther King that she uses frequently to remind us that we have to take the first step.

"To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step." Martin Luther King

I like that quote not only in getting motivated for organizing, but in anything I do. When things seem insurmountable and the tasks before me are too hard, I think about this quote and I know I can take it one step at a time.

One thing that always interested me, though, was the idea of whether you were going up the staircase or taking a step down the staircase. For me, it doesn't matter. Both ways can be scary and it does take faith and courage sometimes to pick up your foot and take that step into the unknown.

I am grateful for men like Martin Luther King who were an example of taking that first step, even though the endeavor was hard and the outcome unknown.

And you know what else I like about the staircase idea? A lot of times there are other people on that staircase willing to reach back and give you a hand.

So, today I am grateful for courage, people of conviction, and friends that lift me. Thank you.

5 comments:

rebecca h jamison said...

I'm a Flylady fan too. I never would have gotten my book published without her positive messages motivating me to keep at it. And I love that quote too. Martin Luther King is one of my heroes. We have his picture hanging in our house.

Jordan McCollum said...

Thanks for this, Julie! I'm from the South, and obviously I'm not Black but I went to a 90% African-American high school (actually, I think I might have been in the minority at all my public schools—I thought the census was just WRONG when it said the general population was like 13% Black), so Martin Luther King is one of my heroes as well.

In fact, when I was interviewing for a job as an American Heritage TA, they asked me for a hero in American history aside from George Washington and the question caught me totally by surprise, but Dr. King popped into my brain. They seemed impressed by my answer (it must have been coherent).

Charlie Moore said...

I was talking to my uncle one time about heroes. I believe Martin Luther King deserves all the recognition he receives and I have a great respect for him. He did a lot to advance the causes he believed in. And I take nothing away from him when I say Joseph Smith was another great man deserving of recognition nationally, even throughout the world. The trials and persecutions he endured matched those of Dr. King and and as Saints we know his work here on earth was much more important and far reaching.
I told my uncle there should be a Joseph Smith day. I suspect he (Joseph Smith) would probably have been against it, however.

Sarah Tokeley said...

I love that quote - and without doubt, the staircase is up for me. Occasionally there are people that remind you that there is real hope. He was one of those.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Rebecca, she is so great!

Jordan, I can totally imagine you impressing people with your coherent answers. And it's so cool you're from the south.

Charlie, we have some wonderful heroes in this country. Thank you for your comments, it made me think.

Sarah, welcome back! I've missed you! And I agree, those people are integral to keeping hope alive.