Friday, November 13, 2020

Shattered Within Spotlight & An Author Interview


Today I'm delighted to spotlight Sara Fitzgerald's new book, Shattered Within, which deals with the difficult subject of mental illness and the stigma that surrounds it. I also got to interview Sara about her writing journey and how this book came about. And though I haven't read this book yet, I'm told it's a gripping and poignant story.

Here's a little more about the book:

Katherine Michaels has never been happier, but when her world comes crashing down on her, she attempts suicide and finds herself in the hospital. She's alone and terrified, not only for herself, but for her unborn child. Darkness seems to be closing in. Can she find a light to chase it away?

Brant Michaels is trying to land his dream job with the help of Elizabeth, his boss’s attractive daughter. Brant is shocked to learn his wife has been taken to the hospital and the doctor thinks she has a mental illness that may require months of dedicated care. Brant thinks Katherine’s illness will derail his career, and it doesn't help that Elizabeth is constantly on his mind. With so many decisions to make, it's hard to know what to do.

Will Katherine’s and Brant’s sacred vows they took in the temple soon be shattered?

Here's my interview with Shattered Within's author, Sara Fitzgerald.

Tell me a little about your writing journey.

In high school I tried out for the creative magazine club. I didn’t think I had a chance, my high school was huge with thousands of students. I scanned the list to see who made the club with my heart pounding. My name was second to the bottom. I missed the bus that day and had to walk a mile home but it was worth every step. I knew right then I wanted to be a professional writer. This will totally date me, but my parents who have always been incredibly supportive, bought me a fancy typewriter, it held three typed pages at a time. I wore these big goofy glasses and sat every day typing away. I knew my husband truly loved me when he sold his music equipment to buy us our first computer. He also found the Romance Writers of America for me to join. For our first Christmas together he gave me Word Perfect. We have been together ever since.

What was your first published book?

My first published book is Mine for Keeps, published by Champagne Books. There had been so many rejection letters and tears, when I received their email I almost deleted it without reading it. Curiosity got the best of me. They didn’t just like my book but loved it. I had kept writing during the first few years of rejection. I had four finished contemporary romance novels. Champagne wanted all of them. It was like a dream come true. I went on to become a Best Selling Author for them. Later I wrote Darkness Within and Magic Within, two young adult paranormal books about coming to age with a splash of magic. I then entered a Christmas contest, Cedar Fork was having. I didn’t win, but they wanted to publish my story, Saving Savanna which went on to sell thousands of copies. In my personal life, I was blessed to have a child, my beautiful daughter Savanna. Savanna has autism. I decided to self-publish A Miracle for Ann. It is about a couple whose child has autism and the struggles they went through. I thought it was the book of my lifetime, until I wrote Shattered Within.

What inspired me to write Shattered Within?

I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I always wanted to write a book about people who belonged to this religion. Plus, I have a master degree in social work with a special emphasis on mental illnesses. I believe there is still so much stigma toward people with a mental illness. I am hoping this book will show that people who have a mental illness are not bad or flawed humans. They simply have an illness like any other. I also wanted to give hope to those suffering from a mental illness that there is help and support available. God loves them just the same as everyone else.

If you couldn't be a writer, what would you want to do?

I’m not a full-time writer. I am Savanna’s mom. She’s my joy and main responsibility.

If you had ten million dollars what would you do with it?

Wow, what a great question. I would give generously to the causes that have touched my life the most and those I love. I would donate to The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill, NAMI for short. I would donate to Autism Speaks and to my daughter’s autism charter school. I would donate to the League of Utah Writers. And I would give everyone who bought my book six pounds of chocolate, the good kind.

What book are you reading right now? What is your favorite genre to read?

On my bedside table is Debbie Macomber Christmas book Merry and Bright. I love Christmas novels. I also still love reading romance novels.

Thanks so much for having me. I appreciate it. I’m excited to share my writing journey with you and your followers. Plus to get the word out there about Shattered Within, the book of my heart and lifetime.

You can get your copy of Shattered Within HERE or find out more at sarafitzgeraldbooks.com

No comments: