Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Do You People Watch?


I've mentioned a game before that I sometimes play with my kids while we're waiting in line or at carpool or whatever. We people-watch and try to make up stories about what people are doing and why. Like, maybe that guy is wearing bright purple socks because he's just learning how to use his new magical powers and instead of reciting the spell that would help him fly, it turned his socks neon purple, things like that. We've come up with some really awesome stories that way, laughed a lot, and made fun memories.

The more I think about it, though, the more I realize how much I love people watching and thinking about characters who might look like them. For example, I went to the grocery store early one morning and in the produce section there was this beautiful woman, her hair done up, she had a gorgeous dress on with five inch heels. I mean, this woman looked amazing, like she was about to go for a night on the town. As I quickly grabbed the stuff I was there to get, I kept thinking about her. Why would someone come to the store first thing in the morning dressed to the nines? Was she hoping to pick up a cute guy in the produce section? Had she just come from a party? A funeral? Maybe she was a model heading off to a shoot and forgot her breakfast. My mind was going in all directions as I left the store and I thought, I'm going to put her in a book someday.

For writers, I think it pays to be observant. People watching can spark character development. It's an exercise that can really keep your imagination healthy and working. Then, when you need that imagination for your story, it will be ready. Not to mention, people-watching and thinking of stories that might explain their circumstances is fun!

Do you people-watch? Or am I just weird?

No comments: