Thursday, August 4, 2016

Going Sugar Free Is Hard


In an effort to be healthy, I've been trying to eliminate refined sugar from my diet and it's been so much harder than I thought. I honestly had no idea how much of my food had refined sugar in it, for one, and how addicted I truly am.

I decided to go cold turkey because I don't think I have enough willpower to try to wean myself off. I got rid of my candy stash and made a conscious effort not to even look at sugary foods. In the first few days, though, I got a terrible headache. I was a bit cranky.  Sugar foods were calling my name, but I persevered. Thankfully the headache left, but sadly, the cravings didn't.

I've been trying to overcome the cravings by fueling my body with healthy foods. I've also been actively trying to get the proper amount of sleep so I can have my head in the game when the cravings come. My friend who successfully cut out the sugar said that the cravings eventually go away. I hope that's true. And I hope it happens sooner rather than later. I mean, I want to live a healthier lifestyle, but I don't want to white-knuckle through it forever, you know?

Have you ever tried to go off of sugar? Have any tricks or tips for me?

3 comments:

Janice Sperry said...

Start your day with a fruit smoothie. 1/2 frozen banana, frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, and milk. (I use coconut milk since I'm lactose intolerant.) You may also add in spinach if you want. Blend and drink. The natural sugar in the morning helps to curb your cravings for sweet during the day. Be sure to also get some protein in the morning. I like peanut butter on my gluten free bread. (gluten intolerant too. I have a pathetic gut.) Snack on grapes instead of candy.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

I'll try that, Janice. Thank you!

Kate said...

The book, Always Hungry by David Ludwig, has been critical for me in getting rid of sugar. Following his food plan eliminated my cravings in 2 days and I was full. And lost weight.