Monday, March 16, 2015

Book Review: The Continuous Atonement For Teens & Practicing For Heaven



If you've ever heard Brad Wilcox speak, you know you are in for a treat.  He's funny, he's real, and he can teach you something without being preachy about it.  He has two new books out that I want to tell you about today.

The first one is The Continous Atonement for Teens.  It is written to explain the Atonement in a way that teenagers will understand.  Mr. Wilcox uses personal experiences that touched my heart, questions that he answers honestly, and quotes from church leaders that add clarity.  I especially loved that each chapter was broken up into smaller bits, to better explain certain aspects.

The book covers so many things about the Atonement in ways that I'd never thought about before. Questions that were asked, were answered, and things that might not be clear, were explained.  I loved the picture this book presented of the Savior and how His mission and Atonement applies to everyone and once we understand it, we can better use this gift in our lives. I know I will have my teenagers read it, but it will be on my keeper shelf for when I want to have a little refresher course.

Here is the back copy:

Brad Wilcox's The Continuous Atonement is a landmark work that helps to clarify what the Atonement is—and what it isn't. It corrects misperceptions and offers hope to those who struggle again and again.

This teen adaptation will help teenagers better understand and apply the Atonement in their lives and help them teach the nuances of the Atonement to others, whether on a mission, at home, or with friends. As they better understand and apply the Atonement, its transforming power will have a lasting effect in their lives.

Each chapter opens with a teen-appropriate question and includes subheadings to clarify content, new stories relevant to teens, and a Prepare to Teach section to help readers internalize and share what they're learning. This shorter edition will be printed in paperback, perfect for teens to carry with them through their busy days.

You can get your copy herefor $9.99




The second book is Practicing For Heaven: The Parable of The Piano Lessons.  This parable goes right along with the ideas in The Continuous Atonement, but it's to help teach younger children about the Atonement.

It is also written by Brad Wilcox (and Wendee Wilcox Rosborough) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was so relatable! I currently have a child in piano lessons and we were chuckling and nodding our heads through the whole thing.  The way it likens piano practice to what we're trying to do as followers of Christ was so original.  We also loved the illustrations and how realistic they were.  A great book for family home evening and a family keepsake for sure!

You can buy your hardback copy herefor $17.09

2 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

I wished I'd have these resources when my boys were teenagers, including you!

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

I'm so glad we have things like this now. :) Hope you're feeling better!