Thursday, December 8, 2011

Word Count Wednesday on Thursday

It felt a little strange not to have a Word Count Wednesday yesterday, so I thought we'd just have it today. We were all making such good progress and it is encouraging to hear about your successes. I also like having the accountability for myself each week. Not that my word count is anything great for the past seven days and I want to brag or anything.

You see, I've broken my own promise and I'm going back and doing revisions. I have a solid first half of my novel, and as I've started the end, I realize I need to go back and change some of the beginning. It's an exciting process for me in hammering out details and adding layers, so I really do like this part. And if any of you know me, you know editing and revision is really fun for me and I do have a tendency to overdo it a bit. I'm working on that.

So my word count is small because I've been deleting and adjusting. I've only added maybe 500 words total, but I've been making my story more solid and believable, so I'm okay with it.

How did you do this week?

7 comments:

Janice Sperry said...

I finished revising through ch 4 yesterday. Starting a list of beta readers and hoping they'll say yes. This does not include my 12 yr old son who has been hounding me to get it done so he can finish reading it. I love that kid.

rebecca h jamison said...

I wrote about five pages this week. Congrats on the revising, Janice and Julie. I love that part of writing where it starts to come together.

Anonymous said...

I kind of like revising as I go. It helps me feel like I'm making better progress when the worry of making it all fit isn't on my mind.

Debra Erfert said...

9,316 as of this morning since last Wednesday. I like to edit and revise as I go along and I remember things, or as things change that I didn't expect, and I know I need to go back and change something that doesn't fit in earlier scenes.

Sarah Tokeley said...

I haven't written anything new this week. It's all about the revisions :-)

Seats And Chairs said...

Hi Julie very well Written post i like this post. Congrats on the revising, I love that kid...Keep it more...

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Janice, I always hope my betas say yes, too. :)

Rebecca, it's really my favorite part of writing because I feel like I'm molding the story into something wonderful. Congrats on five pages!

L.T. I am trying to get the draft down without going back, just hammering it out, but I'm finding that it really isn't my style. I have to go back and revise because that's just how I do it. Everyone is different I suppose, but I am really figuring out what works for me (and you, too! We're birds of a feather!) :)

Debra, you are a MACHINE! Congrats!

Sarah, it is ALL about the revisions. I'm sort of glad we're all in the same boat, though. :)