Monday, May 23, 2011

Food Storage 101

This past weekend I worked on organizing my food storage room. It might sound boring, but this year I started following a blog called Totally Ready. They have lessons on there about how to build your food storage that make so much sense to me.

I started here on Food Storage 101 Lesson One, at the beginning of the year and made my list of recipes that my family enjoys. I started my food storage reference binder. And I’ve gone from there. (You can find all the other lessons on the website). It makes me feel really satisfied when I look around at my food storage room and see how far I’ve come just since January.

I’ve still got a long way to go, but I feel like I’ve found my groove and can make my storage useful and used. Preparedness is a feeling all its own, and especially with all the flooding, fires, tornadoes and other natural disasters going on around our country, I feel good knowing that we could take care of our family in such an event.

Do you have any preparedness plans?

What We’re Doing for Family Night

Tonight I’m going to do the scripture grab bag. Several years ago I made a drawstring bag and put several pictures in it (sheep, boats, water, swords, etc.) Each time a child draws out a picture, he has to say what scripture story it could go to and why he likes that story. We’ve had some interesting discussions that way, since each picture could go to multiple stories and I find out what each child knows and thinks about the stories they’ve been taught. If you’d like to play this game I found a website that has a version of it and you can go here to download pictures (for free!) from each set of scriptures and just put it in a bowl or something.

What We’re Having for Dinner Tonight

Chicken Stroganoff

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
16 oz. sour cream
2 oz. pkg of dry onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
12 oz. wide egg noodles

Place the chicken in the crockpot. Mix the sour cream and soups in a bowl, then pour it over the chicken. Cook for 6 hours, then serve over the cooked noodles.

5 comments:

Shanda said...

Great information. Checking out those websites now. Thanks, Julie! I'm enjoying your new blog. :)

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Thanks, Shanda!

Taffy said...

Thanks Julie! It's nice to get some ideas for FHE. We had fantastic talks yesterday on reverence and how it's not just about quietly sitting. We might talk about that subject more tonight. And try yours next week. Love the recipe too!

Jon Spell said...

If you saw our food storage, you'd probably come to the conclusion that we eat a lot of breakfast cereal and spaghetti. =)

(I guess that's a pretty good representation, come to think of it.)

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Jon, that reminds me of that show Extreme Couponing. Have you ever noticed that most of their "hoards" are things like cereal, chips, pop, etc.? I guess the main thing is that no one would starve, right? (And I love the checkout part of the show when they pay next to nothing. I just don't think I could be dedicated enough to spend hours and hours doing the clipping.)