Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Word Count Wednesday

Well, I ended up having to trash/delete some chapters that were  . . . well, drivel.  I couldn't figure out a way to fix them, so I just deleted and started over.  That's not something that has ever happened to me before and it was hard.  I was feeling bad about it, but last night I took all my issues and laid them all at my critique group's feet and guess what? They helped me figure out a better direction to go in!  So it all ended up being okay.

So, I'm in the middle of the book, starting over with several chapters, but excited about where I'm going. This problem obviously set back my word count, but hopefully this week it will pick back up.

How did you do this week? Have you ever had to delete in the middle of a book, but later been glad you did?

2 comments:

Janice Sperry said...

I've trashed an entire book and started over again. Good thing too. That's the one that is getting published. :)

Debra Erfert said...

Wow! Too bad about the trashed chapters. I couldn't imagine having to do that. It would rip my heart out dumping even a few paragraphs. You have a great attitude, and I'm glad you found a new direction. But I expect this means it will be that much longer before I get to read it, huh?

I tallied my word count and was surprised I wrote 7,755 words this past week. I haven't written that much in…I can't remember. It was probably because I didn't have that art project haunting me. Yep, that was it. Don't expect any word counts from me in the next few weeks, though. Yesterday I officially started my edits for RELATIVE EVIL. I also found out they're going to keep the title. Yay! Love the title! Target date for the launch is july 25th. I actually have a schedule. Totally jazzed about that.