Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Castle Does the 70s

I was so happy to see a new Castle last night.  And having them all dress up in 70s attire with Castle justifying it was hilarious.

We start off with a salvage crew finding a body entombed in concrete.  Castle remembers the case when Vincent Bianchi a crime family boss disappeared in 1978.  The powder blue polyester suit he was wearing was really well preserved which made me laugh. Polyester is not something I miss very much.

They go see the guy, Frank Russo, who took over the crime family when Vincent disappeared, but he had nothing of consequence to offer (although this is where my husband totally called who the murderer was). Frank points them in the direction of Harold Leon, who was Vincent's right hand man.  Harold still thinks it's the 70s and if anything pulls him out of the fantasy, he gets really confused.  He says he knows who killed Vincent, but wants to see the body.  Yeah, totally contrived to get everyone into 70s garb, but so dang funny.

They take him down to the morgue where Lainey is dressed up as Foxy Brown.  She's used the concrete Vincent was entombed in to make a mold of his body and shows it to Harold (after he's made some sexist comments to her that she totally slams him on, jive turkey.)  They get shot at in the morgue and Harold wants protection.  He eventually decides that he'll give a statement at the station which has everyone scrambling to make it look like the 70s with typewriters, large hair, loud clothing, the works.  The funniest part of the episode, though, was Espo and Ryan who are pretending to be a poor man's Starsky and Hutch. Oh man, I laughed so hard at them.  When Espo tries to slide across the car and lands on his butt, I admit, I rewound it just to see it again. So dang funny.

They question Harold because he knows them from their TV show and it cracked me up watching them speak 70s if you get my drift. Espo's phone rings before they get any info other than it probably had something to do with a 70s club called Glitterati.  The boys end up taking Harold there, and doing some dancing, I might add, while Beckett deals with Gates who has returned home early from her trip.  Harold finds Frank Russo, the owner of the club, who is a suspect in the murder, but he denies it.  The gang figures out that Harold and Vincent were in love, that Vincent had rented out the Glitterati club the night he was killed so he could propose to a woman and hide his relationship with Harold, and that the woman he proposed to was the key to this story.

The episode ends with the woman being arrested (Frank Russo's wife) because she was so upset over the fact that Vincent couldn't go through with the proposal in the end.  The team going back to the disco for some dancing. Last Dance comes on and Caskett watch Harold dancing to it.

A really fun episode, although I have to say both Beckett and Castle look pretty good in the 70s style.  On the other hand, I hope that style never comes back.  Haha!  Did you watch it? Did it give you any warm fuzzies for the disco era?

4 comments:

Jon Spell said...

I thought it was a lot of fun - particularly Castle's hair, Kate's first outfit - I don't know what you call those pants, but they were hot, and of course, Ryan and Esposito's role playing. And Espo trying to slide on the hood of the car! =) I can tell you from experience that it's harder than it looks. (It's funny that you rewound it - I did too!)

My only gripe about the episode is more of a complaint in general about how homosexual relationships are portrayed. When that drops near the end, it's played off so (pardon the pun) straight. Being gay in the 70's, particularly a mob guy, would have been extremely scandalous. Seems like a guy from that era would be more ashamed or defensive. Especially considering he was "living in the past" and not part of today's um, sensibilities. I think the director misjudged that aspect, whether on purpose or not.

Debra Erfert said...

I live through your recaps, you describe them so well. Castle comes on later here in Arizona, and I'm usually bushed. I know I can see it on the internet, but after I "see" it in your post, I don't really need to, do I?

Jon Spell said...

This one had some amazing visuals, though, Debra. Can't you DVR it, or do you just not have time to watch TV in the middle of publishing a couple of books? ;)

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Jon, that did come across as a misstep on the director's part. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until you said it.

Debra, you definitely have to watch. My recaps don't ever do it justice!