Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Powering Through

As a follow-up to yesterday, the creator of Castle gave an interview and a few sneak peeks into where he’s taking Season 4. You can read it here


As for Writing Wednesday, I am so stoked right now. I’ve been playing with a non-fiction book idea for a while now, a unique spin on motherhood and being an LDS mom and last night the inspiration just flowed. The muse, well, mused for me, and it was amazing. I was only able to write 1500 words, but I have a direction. I have some motivation and excitement about a project that I haven’t had in a long while. It feels good.

I always marvel a bit at how when inspiration strikes everything seems easier. I can sit in front of a page and pound out a scene, but when it’s hard, it doesn’t feel fun. Yet, when I have an idea that I’m running with, it just flows onto the page and I can hardly type fast enough to get it all down.

I wish writing was like that all the time, but then, if it was, I guess I wouldn’t appreciate the good times as much, because I wouldn’t have been through the bad times.

What’s that scripture . . . there must be opposition in all things? Yeah, even in the writing process. But I’m all for powering through until the next burst of inspiration hits because when it does, there’s no feeling like it in the world.

11 comments:

Melanie Jacobson said...

Interestingly enough, I've found for me that for the inspiration to flow, I really have to prime the pump. The more I write, the faster the ideas come. The first 500 words each day are hard. That's why I always procrastinate them. But the next 500 are easy and the next 500 after that even easier. I don't know why I always forget this on a daily basis when I'm doing the procrastinating.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Melanie, maybe you should write it down so you don't forget? haha.

It's such a great feeling when all the juices are flowing isn't it? Why do we procrastinate? Ah, the life of a writer.

Angie said...

That's great! Good luck on your non-fiction project. I find those times when I just have to power through usually lead to more inspiration.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Thanks, Angie. I definitely hope that starts happening to me more often. :)

Debra Erfert said...

I'm at the beginning of a new project too. My enthusiasm keeps my mind full of ideas and me at the keyboard, typing, just not necessarily in sequential order. When this happens I space down a little and pound out the basic scenes and change the font in some color other than black just so I know its for a future chapter. Does that make sense?

Keep your muse happy, and your fingers flexible. Good luck with your WIP. I understand non-fiction sells much better and faster than fiction.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Great post, Julie!

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Debra, that's a great idea. Thanks! What's your project? Can I ask?

Thanks, Kimberly!

Debra Erfert said...

Since I currently have my paranormal/thriller on submissions, I thought I'd try something totally different. A romance with a touch of suspense, and I'm writing in the first person, again something I've never done before, so I have to stay in just the main character's head. I thought this would be a difficult thing for me to do, but I'm enjoying it so much.

I have a trial tagline I'm floating . . .

When twenty-two year old Grace Evanheart buys an old farm in the desert of Arizona in an effort to assert her independence, she never believes she has to depend on the broad shoulders of a new friend to protect her from hidden deadly dangers John Dillinger left behind at the homestead.

(Like I said, its a trial tagline. Its much too long, but its a start.)

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Sounds intriguing, though! If you ever need a test reader, give me a call. :)

Debra Erfert said...

Better watch out what you offer, I might take you up on it . . .

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

For you, Debra, anything! :)