Monday, May 16, 2011

The Demon Reputation

So yesterday, I taught my Relief Society lesson. I was excited because I'd had an idea for a cool display that I thought would tie right into my lesson. I brought a picture of Jesus, a statue of children praying, and two gargoyles in the middle. Sounds awesome, right?

Before the lesson started one of the older women asked why I had demons on the table. I had never even thought that someone would think the gargoyles were demons! (They were authentic gargoyles that I'd gotten while I was in France, so I thought they were cool.) Yikes. Would everyone think I had brought demons for my display?

I was definitely nervous that I would offend someone after that, when all I wanted to do was point out that just like the gargoyles were unexpected in the display, missionary moments can also be unexpected. You want to be a living example of Christ and his love for all men, so you'll be prepared for those missionary moments when they come, whether it's when you're mothering, visiting teaching, doing family history, whatever. But I certainly didn't want the reputation of being the teacher who brought demons for a display!

So, even though no one else said anything to my face, if anyone from my ward is reading this, they were gargoyles. Not demons. I promise.

I'm going to redeem myself with a good FHE tonight. I think. It's also the season finale of Castle tonight and I’m nervous and excited for it. Anyone else read any spoilers? Are you as nervous as I am?


What We’re Doing for FHE Tonight

Since it is rainy and we are preparing for flooding in our area, I thought it would be fun to do a nice puppet show with the younger kids of Noah’s Ark (we have a fun little puppet stage and a lot of puppets, but you can make paper bag puppets that work just as well.) We’ll talk about preparation and why that’s important, then we’ll haul out our 72 hr. kits and update them. I think some of the clothing in there has been outgrown and the food needs to be rotated, so this will be a good thing. Plus, I want to make sure we have all our important papers, pictures, etc., ready to go in case of an emergency. With so many boys, I am used to hearing the Boy Scout motto of Be Prepared, so tonight we’re be working on putting that motto into practice.

What We’re Having for Dinner

This is another easy crockpot recipe that is a family favorite.

Sugar Roast

A pork roast about 5-10 lbs
3 c. white sugar
1 c. soy sauce
1 ½ c. water
½ tsp. Garlic salt

Combine sugar, water, soy sauce, and garlic powder in crockpot. Add the pork roast. Cook for six hours. Shred the pork in the sugar sauce and serve it all over rice.

12 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

That recipe sounds really delicious! We can't eat pork, though - does it work with beef or chicken?

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

I've never tried it with chicken or beef. If you do, though, let me know if it works, okay? :)

Debra Erfert said...

I know what gargoyles are and I've never considered them demons. I considered them guardians. And she said this to your face? Sheesh!

I'm looking forward the Castle, but then I'm not. They always have a heck of a cliff hanger that tortures me for months.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

I hear ya about the cliffhanger endings, Debra. I know this one is going to be epic. And from the spoiler peeks I saw, jaw-droppingly sad. (Is that too much of a spoiler for you? I hope not.)

Melanie Jacobson said...

I think I've just figured out what to serve the elders for dinner on Wednesday. One is lactose intolerant and has a nut allergy and I was scratching my head. Got it. Thanks!

Melanie Jacobson said...

And um, I don't cook a lot with pork, so let me ask a dumb question. Does the pork roast you use have a certain name? Like probably a tenderloin isn't fatty enough for the crock pot. Do you use pork butt? Or pork shoulder? Are these the same thing? Uh . . . help.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Melanie, I usually just go to the meat section and pick the biggest pork roast I can find that is boneless (and doesn't have strings around it). I've done a bone-in one before (maybe shoulder?) and it was fine, but it's easier to shred it if it's boneless (butt maybe?)

So that's my scientific answer--go pick a big pork roast that's boneless. Does that help at all? Sorry!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I feel so bad for cracking up. Demons, oh dear!

Hee hee.

I was supposed to have dinner in the crockpot by now - ack!

Melanie Goldmund said...

I showed a picture of a naked man in Relief Society once -- well, okay, so it was the painting from the Sistine Chapel of God creating Adam, by Michaelangelo. But now I want to work gargoyles into my next lesson somehow. In the words of Doctor Who: "Gargoyles are cool." :D

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Hurry, Kimberly, you can still make it!

Melanie I am SHOCKED at your naked man story (Can you see me clutching my pearls?) LOL

And Dr. Who is right, gargoyles ARE cool! Let me know if you ever do work gargoyles into a lesson and how it works for you. :)

Stephanie Black said...

Gargoyles in RS--that is awesome!

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

LOL Thanks Stephanie!