Tuesday, March 11, 2014

McRoll Fanfic #5---Let's Go Home

This is for all the Pink Ladies and McRoll fans.  Love you guys!  (And yes, someday I may extend this one. *wink*)

These characters are not mine and this is for purely entertainment purposes. I own nothing and no copyright infringement is intended.

McRoll Fanfic #5
(What I wish we'd seen last week instead of McGrover)

Let’s Go Home

Cath pushed opened the door to Steve’s office.  “Long day?” she asked as she walked in and leaned her hip against the edge of his desk.

“You have no idea,” he said, standing up and circling the desk to pull her into his arms.  “You’re a sight for sore eyes.  How did it go with Navy intel?”

“Fine. I got what we needed.”  She snuggled in closer, loving the solid feel of him under her cheek. They’d been working so hard lately, it felt like ages since they’d been able to just be together and not talk about work.  Cath wanted to change that, but was warring within herself.  Did she confront Steve about the nightmares? Or just enjoy a night off?  “You ready to go home?”

He hesitated as if he were having an internal battle as well.  “Not yet.  I’ve got to finish up here.  It’ll probably be a while.”  He stroked her hair, then drew back to look her in the face.  “Sorry.  I don’t want you to wait up for me, though. I know you’re exhausted. You should go home and get some sleep.”

Catherine looked up into his eyes, knowing the decision had been made for her.  “Steve, you’re not fooling me.  I know you’re not sleeping.  We need to talk about this.”

He released her and turned away, running a hand over his face.  “I can’t.”

“I know it’s about Freddie.  You call his name out whenever you do finally shut your eyes.”  She kept her voice low and even.  He needed to get this out, to talk to her.

“I just can’t, Cath. Not yet.”

His voice was raw, wounded, and she literally ached to take some of the pain away from him.  She ran her hands up his back and pressed herself against him from behind.  “It’s not your fault, Steve.”

He turned in her embrace and tucked her hair behind her ear.  “I know.  I’m just trying to work this out on my own.”

“I want to help you,” she said, placing her hands on his chest.  She could feel his heartbeat under her fingers, steady and strong.  It reassured her on some level. No matter what was going on, he was still the same man she’d always known.

“I can think of a few ways you can help me.” He grinned, then lowered his mouth to hers. 

She gave herself up to the kiss, letting the subject of Freddie drop. For now.  Her hands slipped over his shoulders and followed the familiar path through his hair. She pulled him closer, suddenly wishing they weren’t in his office, surrounded by glass walls, visible to any prying eyes that walked into the office.  Her hands ran lightly over his chest, then dropped to his side of their own accord. She fisted his t-shirt in her fingers and drew him toward her, while still holding her ground.  He pulled her back until she was a little off-balance, which is how she always felt around him anyway.  When they were like this, when he kissed her, the world always faded away. There was nothing but him and her, their mouths, their souls. Only them.

He undid the clip in her hair and ran his fingers through it, gently tugging it back so he could get a better angle as he trailed kisses across her jaw and down her neck. “Cath,” he said, his voice low and husky in her ear.

“Mmmmhmmmm?” It was hard to think about anything else except him and the moment.  She guided his mouth back to hers, needing him to be closer.  His hands trailed down her spine, the warmth searing her even through her shirt. He walked her backward toward the door, pressing her tight against it as he deepened the kiss.  He was demanding and gentle all at once, and she responded with all the love and trust she had in her, and wanted him to know.  They were both breathless when they finally came up for air.

“Maybe we should go home,” he murmured into her hair.  “We can talk . . . work through my insomnia issues . . .”

“Best idea I’ve heard all day.”  She let out a breath and put her arms around him, hugging him to her for a moment.  “Especially the going home part.  We’re a little exposed here.”  She looked around at the glass walls to make her point.

He chuckled.  “We wouldn’t want that now, would we?”

“No.” She gave him a quick kiss.  “But Steve . . .”

He put his finger on her lips.  “Cath, don’t worry, I know you’re there for me and we’re going to get through this thing together, okay?”

She smiled. He’d read her mind.  “I like the “we” part.” 


He trailed a finger down her cheek, slowly, then he cupped her face and put his forehead to hers.  “Me, too.”  They stayed that way for a moment, just feeling the other person, constant and secure, right there in front of them.  He finally pulled her to his side and opened the door.  “Let’s go home.”

Want to read some of my other McRoll fanfics?  

Click here for Breathless

Click here for Safe Harbor

Click here for The Long-Awaited Dinner

Click here for Always


3 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

You know, you really aught to try to write for television. You do it so much better than the ones in control of TV right now.

I'm baking today. Six dozen almond cupcakes, and a wedding cake. Busy day, but at least I'm not decorating them here. yeah...

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Thanks, Debra. If only the shows I like could give me a little romance with the suspense, then it would be perfect! :)

And wow, that's a lot of baked goods. You are amazing!

Debra Erfert said...

AMazing wouldn't be the word I'd use…but, thanks!