Monday, October 15, 2012

Book Review: InDIVISIBLE


InDIVISIBLE by Ryan Hunter is a YA dystopian about a young girl named Brynn whose father is brutally murdered while at the office.  Brynn's life is changed irrevocably by his death, but she starts to unravel more secrets about his life and how it directly relates to the government.  One United is a country that controls everything about an individual through a hand sensor.  They know when you've checked into your underground home, they know what you're saying, eating, and doing at any given time.  As Brynn steps closer to the truth her father wanted her to have, her life and the life of her friend T are in danger, and they must flee everything they've ever known to find the Freemen.

I thought the main characters of Brynn and T were well-done and I really enjoyed the settings.  At times, the dialogue seemed a bit repetitive and there were quite a few typos, but the overall story was one I could identify with and see parallels in our society today.  There were some graphic scenes of murder and the action kept me turning pages, but I don't think I would let my younger teen read this one quite yet.  I'm assuming there's going to be a sequel, not because of a cliffhanger ending, but because of a more open ending.  Readers who like dystopian will like InDIVISIBLE.

Here's the back copy:

Brynn Aberdie has everything but freedom ... but everything has a way of changing.

When Brynn loses her family, her security, and her handouts, she is left with one choice, a choice that guarantees one of two things: freedom or death.

Brynn vows to find that freedom, and soon learns a lesson many in One United have already learned – by failing to protect their rights, Citizens have forfeited their lives with little hope to ever recover them.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I just started reading this. I really like dystopian YA so I'm hoping this one is good.

Robyn Heirtzler said...

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and yes, there's a sequel in the works. :)