Thursday, November 8, 2012

Motivational Quotes for Writers

So, most of you know I've been struggling a bit with my NaNoWriMo word count.  But last night, as I dragged myself to the computer desk (I'm still sick with this rotten cough and cold) I thought to myself, this is going to be horrible.  I have nothing in my brain and my outline looks ridiculous.  But I sat there, knowing that Debra Erfert was also sprinting with me and I'd have to account to her in fifteen minutes.

So I started writing.

It was slow going at first, I only got 494 words in the first fifteen minutes, but after that, it's like my brain turned on and the words just started flowing out of me, the slow trickle turning into a river that started moving faster and faster until by the end of the hour I'd written two chapters and over 2600 words.  I was so happy, you can't even imagine.  And the next scenes were crowding into my mind that I know today will be a good writing day as well.

It's funny how a little jumpstart and some accountability can change things.  (Thanks Debra!  I hope we can do it again next week!)

Another thing that always helps me is getting out some of my favorite motivational quotes.  I am sharing my top eight with you today.  Please feel free to add your own favorites in the comments.


"Strength does not come from winning.  Your struggles develop your strength.  When you go through hardship and decide not to surrender, that is strength." - Anonymous

“Really great people make you feel that you, too can become great.” Mark Twain

"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur

"The starting point of all achievement is DESIRE.  Keep this constantly in mind.  Weak desire brings weak results, just as a small fire makes a small amount of heat." - Napolean Hill

"Habit is a cable; we weave a thread each day, and at last we cannot break it." - Horace Mann

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.” -Mark Twain

“To write something, you have to risk making a fool of yourself.” -Anne Rice

“We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.” -Ray Bradbury


There is just something inspiring about reading quotes like that.  It makes me think I can really do this.  I hope you feel the same.

3 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

I'm basically a pantser writer. I might jot down some ideas to work toward, but I don't always get there. I like that quote you have from Ray Bradbury. But I love this quote better...

First, find out what your hero wants, then just follow him!
- Ray Bradbury

That's what I did last night when we sprinted. And then again when Jordan and I sprinted from 9 to 10. Man were my fingers tired, but I wrote around 2200 words by the time the night was over. Sprinting is a great idea. It really works out the imagination.

Jon Spell said...

"Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail." -- Phil Dunphy

Also these fun ones:
http://101reasonstostopwriting.blogspot.com/search/label/demotivator

(example)
Writing : The recording of life as it passes you by.

On my way to work this morning, I was thinking about a scene with my characters improvising a crutch so that the wounded party could hike easier. Then I remembered that he was shot in the arm, not the leg. He needed a SLING, not a CRUTCH! (Problem to fix in December, right?)

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Jon, I've got a lot of stuff to fix in December. I can't even think of a bad guy name, so I'm calling him Hez for the moment. (Sound familiar? haha) I'll have to go back and redo a bunch of stuff. LOL But I'm happy with the word count and the fact that it really is taking shape. Thanks for the link. Some great quotes!

Debra, I'm a reformed pantser. I do minor outlines now to help with my wordcount. You did so great last night though! So much fun. And that is a great quote.