Monday, March 5, 2018

The Other Side of Heaven & The Announcement!


Last week I had the opportunity to attend the LDS Film Festival. One of the events I was most excited about was the screening of The Other Side of Heaven. It came out in 2001 and it was one of my favorite films. (It was also one of Anne Hathaway's first feature films.)

The show is about Elder John Groberg and his mission to Tonga. There are so many funny and poignant moments in it. I'd never seen it on the big screen, though, so I was looking forward to it.

Before it started, I had the chance to chat with Elder Groberg and his wife Jean. They were so sweet! The atmosphere was so festive with leis being handed out and Polynesian dancers performing.

The director, Mitch Davis, also made a big announcement--they are filming a sequel!

It's set to come out next year and chronicles Elder Groberg's assignment as a mission president in Tonga. A lot of the original actors will be reprising their roles (not Anne Hathaway, though), but we'll get to see more of Feki and Kolipoki. I can't wait!

The best part of the evening was the Q&A after the movie. Elder Groberg and his wife told some really cute behind the scenes stories that I'd never heard before. I think the one I liked best was how Sis. Groberg didn't want the scene where she kisses John on the swing to be put in the movie. She'd told all her Laurels that she never kissed John before his mission, but there it was right on the screen! The director explained that he had to show the romance, so it was necessary. (Personally, I'm glad they left it in. It was one of my favorite moments!)

Elder Groberg also talked about the difficulties he had with his feet after the rats chewed on them and twenty-five years later, he finally went to the doctor. He was shocked to find that Elder Groberg had cancer on the bottom of his feet. In his entire medical career the doctor had never seen skin cancer on the bottom of someone's feet! Of course, Elder Groberg explained the circumstances. There were so many fun stories, I wish you all could have been there!

And if you haven't seen The Other Side of Heaven, I highly recommend it!


No comments: