I was thinking today how much a writer's life (especially a writer mom's life) consists of reaching our goals with baby steps. For example, since I have small children, I have to work my writing life around them. I am currently editing my manuscript by printing out a chapter a day (sometimes two if I'm lucky!) and I take it with me while I wait at orthodontist appointments, at carpool, and yes, even while I'm supervising bath time. (The pages are a little worse for wear, I must say.) But I'm halfway through the edit. Woohoo!
I have made small goals for myself this year (as I mentioned here) and I'm doing small things to accomplish them every day.
- I have progress on the audio book (which I will talk about tomorrow.)
- I figured out yesterday how to make a beautiful professional blog header so I can change that by myself. (And this might not seem like a big deal to some, but for me, that was huge!)
- I've participated in two promotions this week for my book All Fall Down. (Which I've never really done before).
- I changed the cover of All Fall Down and made sure that was taken care of on all the major retail sites.
- I've started the process of forming my own publishing imprint.
It's been a really productive week, but when I look back over it, I got it done by just doing one or two things per day, and working steadily toward my goals.
Mother Theresa once said, "We cannot do great things, only small things with great love." As I put that in perspective, I think it applies to all aspects of my life. I'm doing small things with love in my writing career (and as a mom) and I know if I can keep going with it consistently, it will all add up to reaching my goals both professionally and personally.
Do you have a plan for achieving your goals? How are you doing so far in 2015?