Monday, October 13, 2014

Book Review: Loving Lucianna


Today is Canadian Thanksgiving and I am in a turkey daze. So. Much. Food.   But I still want to tell you about this awesome book, Loving Lucianna, by one of my favorite historical romance authors, Joyce DiPastena.  This one is a bit unique because it's a love story of older people, in their forties and fifties, but I still found an amazing hero and a strong, yet tender heroine.

I love how carefully Ms. DiPastena researches the time period.  The setting is truly like another character in the book and makes the time period so real, which adds another dimension to the story. Her characters are her true talent, however, and they jump off the page with their depth and emotions. I really enjoy Ms. DiPastena's writing style and I know that I need to clear some time if I'm going to start one of her books because I won't want to put it down!

I was pulled into Loving Lucianna from the first chapter.  Lucianna has had a difficult life, but finds a friend in Elizabetta.  Fast forward twenty years or so, and Lucianna is helping chaperone Elizabetta's daughter, Siri, when the unthinkable happens---Lucianna falls in love with Sir Balduin.  She is so happy, until her brother shows up to ruin everything and force Lucianna to face the secrets of her past.  I felt so sorry for Sir Balduin who truly loved this woman, even when she was making him crazy with all her secrets.  There is so much great dialogue between the two of them. I especially loved the misunderstandings when Lucianna was trying to teach Sir Balduin Italian  So funny!

The other thing I like about Ms. DiPastena's books is that they are romantic and clean.  I can get lost in the story without having to worry about having to skip pages.  And this is definitely a book worth reading.

Here is the back copy:

Sir Balduin de Soler gave up long ago on love. He never had the means to support a wife until an unexpected advancement in his fifties allows him to reassess his future just as the lovely Lucianna enters his life.

Lucianna Fabio harbors a secret, painful memory from her past that has kept her unwed, as well. Now in her forties, she thought herself too old to marry until she meets Sir Balduin. Now suddenly their lonely autumn lives feel very much like spring again . . . until Lucianna’s brother appears without warning and threatens to revive the secret that will destroy Lucianna’s second chance at love.

“Loving Lucianna" is the first in my new “Hearts in Autumn” romance series, medieval romances revolving around heroes and heroines “in the autumn of their years.” Because you’re never too old to fall in love!

If you are interested, you can click hereto buy the book for $1.99

2 comments:

Joyce DiPastena said...

Thank you so much for this review, Julie! I'm glad the Italian lessons made you laugh. They made me laugh when I wrote them. :-)

Debra Erfert said...

Joyce is one of my favorite historical romance authors as well. I have all her books, and I have this one as well. It was pre-ordered, and arrived in my Kindle without my lifting another finger! What a wonderful review, Julie.