Tuesday, July 10, 2012

G-Rated Non-Profanity (Yes, I'm Editing)

So, as you all know, I am elbow deep in edits and there may or may not have been some cursing and crying going on. Of course the cursing was my special brand of non-cursing because well, I'm not a fan of profanity.  But sometimes, the situation calls for a freakin' flippin' oh my heck.  (And if you are offended by non-curse words I apologize right now.  Do not read on.  Or click on the video.)

Remember how yesterday I told you I had to take out a character and a storyline?  This is how that went.  Picture me, sitting at my desk, clenching my teeth, and white-knuckling it with the delete key.  Page by page, looking at my witty writing and mumbling to myself, "Dang it, can I keep this somehow?"  and pulling on my hair answering myself with a "Noooo," and "Julie, what the holy scrud were you thinking?"

And then I banged my head on the desk a couple of times.  (Just kidding.  That would hurt if I did that.)

I got out the big guns around chapter five.  The pseudo-cursing would stop if my mouth was busy, so I got a bag of baby carrots to munch through while I did the hard part. For some reason crunching comforts me.  So I crunch.  I think I ate the entire bag of carrots (and I don't recommend doing that.  Just believe me that it's not really a good idea.)

Today, I went to the dentist to get myself ready to finish the rest of the edits/cuts.  The scraping and grinding on my teeth really put me in the right mood.  (Oddly, the dentist's office kept playing the Rocky theme.  I think that may have been a message just for me.)

But I am not in the Rocky mood yet.  I am definitely in the crunching and cursing mode still.  So I have included for your listening pleasure my 'I Love/Hate Editing So I Listen to This' song.  Try not to judge me.  (And also, do you have editing theme songs?  Or am I the only one?  Are you a curser or a non-curser?  Is curser a word?  Haha)





3 comments:

Jon Spell said...

Thanks for the video, very amusing. (Also enjoyed the related Forget You parody.)

Never actually heard anyone say "holy scrud", though. I did know one friend who said "oh my hell" just to mock the Utahns. (Neither one makes any sense.) I recently heard "Mother Bear" as a missionary non-curse.

I can also attest that it's a bad idea to eat a whole bag of carrot sticks in one sitting.

Debra Erfert said...

I thought your video was funny.

Good luck with your edits/cuts. I know how hard it is getting rid of characters you've grown to love/like.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

You know why I like you guys? Because you get me. Haha! Thanks Jon and Debra. You're the best bloggy friends ever and I'm so glad to know if I died and didn't post, one or both of you would probably notice.