Monday, October 24, 2011

What's Amazing About You?

Last night I went to my sister-in-law’s house and she was talking about a seminar she’d gone to and how they were put into pairs and asked to sit across from their partner, look into their eyes, and tell that person for ninety seconds something amazing about themselves. She sort of laughed when she was telling us about it, and said how hard it was.

I’ve been thinking a lot about that. Why is it hard for us to see how amazing we are?

When I ask my little girl to tell me all the wonderful things about herself, she can list them off without hesitating. She’s a wonderful artist, she loves everyone, she’s a good mommy to her dolly, she loves to dance, she’s a beautiful princess, and on and on.

I think we were all able to do that when we were little, but as we grow, somehow we lose that feeling that we are amazing and unique. It becomes all about fitting in instead of standing out.

I personally find that sad and wish it wasn’t so. I look at the men and women around me and find it easy to tell them amazing things about themselves. But when I look in the mirror, I stumble over telling myself how amazing I am.

So, this week, I’m going to work on that. I’m going to work on re-discovering amazing things about myself. I’m not going to be vain about it, but I am going to concentrate on things in my life and about me as a person that make me unique. You should try it, too! Let’s list three things, right now. Today. Come on, you know you can do it! We’re amazing!

I’m amazing because:

1. I have a wonderful imagination and can think of great stories.

2. I am a very loyal friend.

3. I love teaching and seeing how something I said sparked imagination or understanding in someone else.

What’s amazing about you?

11 comments:

Sarah Tokeley said...

Good grief that's hard. I'll get back to you :-)

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Sarah, it should be easy for you! You're friendly and kind, willing to befriend new people. I could go on and on! :)

Melanie Goldmund said...

Well, if I were ever on a plane that crashed in the Andes or some other remote location, I'd be happy to donate my dead body to the food situation. I'm sure the survivors would get many a good meal from me, probably more than enough to sustain them until help came, because my body fat is just plain awesome.

I can remember jokes and tell them well, and make humourous remarks off the cuff, too. See above.

I'm good with directions and my husband depends on my navigational abilities.

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

HAHA! Melanie, that is awesome. I really needed a laugh today, so thanks for that!

Jon Spell said...

I am Amazing because:

1) I am the most humble and modest person you will ever meet.

2) I often use humor or sarcasm when I can't come up with something truly amazing.

3) I know a lot of music and movie trivia. I have over 2000 songs on my iPod "all time favorites" list.

4) I am the first person in my extended family to get a 4-year degree. (Granted, it took me an extra 15 years to do so.)

5) I can take care of two 2-month-old boys for about an hour before having a nervous breakdown.

6) I can do ice sculpture. Last night I made a cube.

7) My company thinks I'm so amazing that they want to clone me. (true story)

8) I forgot what eight was for.

Charlie Moore said...

I am not as amazing as Jon, but I do go to the temple regularly. That doesn't necessarily make me amazing, but it is an amazing thing to do.

My wife has put up with me for 28 years. That is more than amazing.

Charlie

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Jon and Charlie, you two are pretty high up there on the amazing scale and I'm so glad to be able to count you among my friends. :)

Anonymous said...

I think what makes each of us amazing is our unique path to knowing the difference between good and evil. In other words, what makes us each amazing is our individual quest for Atonement--our own path to becomming like our Father in Heaven.

It could be that children haven't experienced all the fallout that comes from being an "amazing" adult. When you're a child there isn't much guile, hardly any hypocracy, no pride, little jealousy, no avarice, or malice, or envy. But it doesn't take long for all those "enticings" to start to rachet up.

After you've tread water on this earth for a few years, you've had enough time, as Lehi says, to experience the "enticings" of the evil one. Because when you're an amazing pre-teen, teen or adult, its pretty enticing to think you're better than the next gal, smarter, cuter, more sophisticated, better educated, or more desireable.

If atonement is our aim in this life--to think, react, feel, behave, respond, support, lead out, follow, and create like Our Father in Heaven, and Jesus Christ (to say nothing of the Holy Ghost)--then to be amazing is yoked to following Christ. And being yoked to Christ includes choosing good every time a choice is placed before, and repenting everytime we don't until we've practiced following Christ (and repenting) enough that, to borrow another quote from Lehi, we are "free forever, knowing good from evil, to act for [ourselves] and not be acted upon".

Once we've adopoted the divine attributes of patience, love, kindness, mercy, meekness, and justice as our own (I think the list is longer than this), and by our own experience we really do know the difference between every good thing and every evil thing, then I think we could honestly look ourselves in the mirror and say, "I know what is good and what is evil, and I choose good, and that's what makes me amazing because it makes me like my Father in Heaven."

Anonymous said...

Julie,

What I failed to mention in my post above, is that maybe its more difficult for you to list what makes you "amazing", becuase you sense there is a pretty big difference between what the world thinks is amazing and what your Father in Heaven thinks is amazing. And that huge gulf makes you pause, think, and try to figure out why there is so much discomfort in naming stuff. See. You're already doing what Lehi said we should do!

Kian Flux said...

Julie you're absolutely right. Thinking about amazing things about myself is indeed hard. I feel that sometimes we hesitate to list out our amazing traits because we're afraid that it might sound boastful.

However, deep within we know that each of us are amazing in our own right. Everyone will have some or at least one amazing trait that is unique to them.

Anyway, I can honestly say that I'm amazing because,

1. I am a very understanding person.

2. I am kind and compassionate.

3. I am very friendly.

Hooray! I found 3 things that's amazing about myself. Thank you Julie for making me think about this. I feel so much better now, because even though I always knew these things, saying it out aloud or rather writing this down makes me feel better. So THANK YOU!

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Thanks, anon, and Kian, there really is something to writing it down, isn't there? Thanks so much for commenting. :)