Monday, August 1, 2011

Resting the Creative Mind

Today I’d like to talk a little about resting. When I was a teen and a college student, I could pull all-nighters no problem, writing essays, studying for tests, and still get through the next day. My energy seemed limitless and I took full advantage of that. But I also still took the time to just sit and think about things.

You see, I've always liked to think through my to do lists, visualize my goals, and dream a little more. I still do like to do that, but my time to sit and think has seemed to be almost non-existent lately and I've felt that in my creative life. This is where I like how our Father in Heaven has specifically has told us that we need to rest. We need to take a day, take some time, to rest and recharge, so that we are strong enough to face the week. I think that as human beings it is required for our body and our mind.

And isn’t it interesting how our body and mind work so closely together in a spiritual sense, especially when we're creating something--whether it be our writing, our sense of family, or something within ourselves. When my body is tired, my mind isn’t as sharp and things seem harder to overcome. When I’ve had a good night’s sleep, I feel like I can do anything. Even with my little sitting sessions, I feel recharged and ready to go out there and make my dreams come true.

As a creative person, how do you feel about resting? Do you ever just sit and think and dream a while?

4 comments:

Debra Erfert said...

When my son Adam was born I didn't get to sleep again until he was 18 months old--literally. And then it was only in naps. I didn't have any idea he was allergic to milk until he was 5. The effect it had on him made him hyperactive to the point we thought he was ADHD. During his childhood I was so exhausted I didn't have a creative bone in my body.

Thinking back on those years I really don't know how I survived much less made it though the day like a normal human being. Creatively, I didn't do much more than a few pencil drawings, and I didn't start writing for the first time until he was in high school.

I'm still in awe of you, Julie, for being able to raise 8 children, write as many books as you have, keep up a blog, take care of your husband, and think straight at the same time. And I know of the thousand other obligations that you have behind the scenes, too. We all have them.

How do I feel about resting? I treasure it!

And I have many, many dreams.

Melanie Goldmund said...

I do just sit and dream sometimes, though it's usually a case of resting my body, and I end up dozing off before I've come up with a good idea for a story.

Charlie Moore said...

If you ask my wife she'll tell you I have a Ph.D. in resting. Resting does help us to recharge.

Charlie

Julie Coulter Bellon said...

Debra, you are so sweet.

Melanie, that can become a problem, unless you get really great story ideas from dreams, then you can chalk it up to research. :)

Charlie, I totally believe that about you.