Wednesday, May 3, 2023

The Daybell Trial


I've been following the Lori Vallow Daybell trial closely and each day of testimony just makes me shake my head. 

Chad Daybell and his first wife Tammy owned the Spring Creek Publishing company, and that company published my first four books. This was in the early 2000s and the Chad I'm hearing about in the murder trial is very different from the Chad I knew then. It's so strange to think of what happened to him after he left Utah and where his life is at now. (I even was interviewed by a TV program about my interactions with Chad, but since so many authors knew him, they aired another author's experiences. It was still interesting to be interviewed, though, and see the behind-the-scenes process.) Honestly, I feel the worst for the Daybell children who have lost so much, but most of all, they lost their mother who was a genuinely kind soul who had a wonderful laugh and really seemed to enjoy people. 

Chad Daybell's murder trial will be held at a later date, so currently I'm just following Lori's trial. It can't be televised, so there's a reporter named Nate Eaton who live tweets what's going on in the courtroom. I admit, I'm riveted. He's a good writer for details and it feels like you're in the courtroom. The prosecution is still presenting their case, but I'm so interested to hear what the defense will have to say. So far their cross-examinations have been underwhelming, so I wonder if the defense will be more of the same. I guess we shall see!

Do you ever follow trials?

No comments: