Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Book Review: Romance Fans Will Love This One!


This past week I picked up a book, Love at Lakewood Med, by an author I'd never read before, TJ Amberson. The first chapter was a bit hard for me to get into, but I kept with it and I'm so glad I did! I loved this story. It's about a fourth year medical student, Savannah Drake, who gets paired with her attending, Wes Kent for her emergency medicine rotation. Dr. Kent has been trying for years to get funding for a better emergency department wing, but his pleas have fallen on deaf ears. Savannah is sure she's going to specialize in pediatrics, but while on her emergency department rotation, things start to change for her personally and professionally. But when lines are crossed and Wes might lose everything he's worked for, Savannah has to decide if she can risk her own career or lose a chance at love.

There were so many things to love about this book. There's a medical aspect where Savannah is learning and she makes some mistakes. I loved that she wasn't a perfect heroine and it made it easy to relate to her. I also love that she cares so much about her patients and there was a wide variety of cases in the ER (which made it feel very realistic.) Most of all, I loved Dr. Wes Kent. He's so believable and protective and sweet. Everything I want in a hero. The slow romance build was well-done and I admit I stayed up late to finish the book and went back and read my favorite parts the next day. That doesn't happen very often for me! I will definitely be looking for more by this author. (I really hope she does a sequel with the best friend and we can find out more about what happens with Wes and Savannah!)

You can get your copy here

Here's the back copy:

Savannah Drake would be thrilled about starting her final year of medical school if it weren’t for one thing: she has to spend a month working in the emergency room with cold, aloof Dr. Wesley Kent as her mentor. When her first day in the ER proves to be a humiliating disaster, Savannah is ready to swear off emergency medicine forever. Gradually, though, she finds that the unpredictable, emotional experience of caring for patients in the emergency room is affecting her far differently than she expected—and Dr. Kent turns out to be anything but the arrogant attending physician that she assumed him to be. But just when Savannah finally admits to herself that she is falling for Dr. Kent, she learns that things at the hospital are not all what they seem. Faced with a seemingly impossible choice, Savannah must decide between her future career and everything that she has come to care so much about.

No comments: