Thursday, August 24, 2017

A Writing Time Capsule

photo credit: suzyhazelwood DSC03545-05 via photopin (license)

My first grader had an assignment this week to put together a time capsule that they will open at the end of first grade. They've been putting things in like handwriting samples, letters from parents, a treat, an information sheet about all their favorite things, and a ribbon to show how tall they currently are.

As I was helping him put it together, I was thinking about this in regards to my books. Each one of my books is like a tiny time capsule into my life at the time. My very first book has each one of my family members' name in it--all of my favorite things! It also included a lot of moments that really happened, like a little peek into my life at the time that shows where my growth as a writer was. A real treat for me.

As I look back sixteen books later, my writing style has changed. My approach to outlining and dialogue and craft has grown, so if I had a ribbon from my first book to my last one, it would show that. Some writers are embarrassed by their first books, but I love mine. It's just a snapshot of my writing life and I'm proud of where I've been and how far I've come. It's like a little letter of confidence from my beginning writer self to now.

It's hard to believe that my first book was published in 2004. It doesn't seem that long ago. But I've learned so much, met so many amazing people and mentors, and been changed by the stories that I've researched and told. My children have grown up seeing that their mom had goals and dreams and she worked hard to accomplish them. I love that. I want them to know that we can all make time to develop our talents, no matter what stage of life you're in. There were so many times when it was hard, when a review wasn't great, when I had thirty minutes a day to write while I juggled my family life, or when I was scribbling in a notebook while I waited for carpool just so I could get in a tiny bit of writing.

But it was all worth it.

It's a blessing to be able to do what I love. And even more of a blessing to see how its affected my life for good.

It makes me look forward to the future and what's in store!

No comments: