Thursday, November 17, 2016

I Have Vertigo, Now What?

photo credit: A. Elizabeth Day 103 via photopin (license)

Over a month ago I woke up one morning and was just dizzy. I thought maybe I had an inner ear infection or something like that and went to the doctor. He prescribed some antibiotics, but the dizziness never went away. So, the diagnosis is now positional vertigo.

Ever since then, I've been researching treatments for this. One is called "watchful waiting" where you more of less just live with it and hope it resolves itself. Mostly, though, there are several "positioning" exercises you can do to help the calcium carbonate crystals to go back to where they are supposed to be in the inner ear. So, I've been trying a few of those.

In fact, I was doing another set of exercises this afternoon, one where you have to look at the ceiling, then put your head on the floor with your chin sort of tucked under, and then turn it a certain way. While I was doing this, I thought of the quote from "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" where Clark says to his cousin, "I couldn't be more surprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet." Haha. I love that show.

Of course, right when I was in the middle of the exercise with my head on the carpet, smiling at the quote I'd thought of, my son walked in. The look on his face was priceless, raised eyebrows and all, while he watched me for a minute.

"Mom, what are you doing?"

"Oh, just working on my ear crystal issues."

"Oookay." And he quickly walked away. He probably thought it was a weird Mom thing! It does sound lame. But the good news is, the last positional exercises I did helped a bit, so I might keep going with that one.

Have any of you ever experienced positional vertigo? What worked for you?


1 comment:

Sonia said...

I have had vertigo before and it didn't matter what position I was in. It was awful. We, too, looked at what to do and the head moving did work, but it took my husband doing it while I laid on the bed with my head slightly off the bed. It took three or four times of moving my head in a certain pattern, but it worked and I haven't had it again.