Wednesday, September 21, 2016

What I'm Reading Wednesday



I've been reading a wagon trail romance called Phoebe's Promise by Kay P. Dawson. This is a new author to me and so far, I've enjoyed her writing style. As you all know, I enjoy historical romance and this novella has just enough romantic tension to keep me turning pages.

Phoebe is fleeing an abusive uncle with her younger sister and they join up with a wagon train heading to Oregon. At first, Phoebe dresses as a boy, but the wagonmaster, Colton, figures out pretty quick she's a woman. He does his best to protect her, but there's a lot going on, including facing death and uncertainty.

I think the author describes the setting really well so the reader can experience the trail along with the characters. The plot is straightforward with enough depth and an easy pace to keep me invested. Colton has a few secrets he's keeping that may keep them apart, so I'm anxious to see if they get their happy ending!

Here's the back copy:

In order to keep a promise she made to her dying mother, Phoebe sets off with her younger sister to head across the country on a wagon train bound for Oregon. Dressed as a boy, all she has to do is find the captain of the outfit and convince him to take them along.

When Colton sees the young boy in front of him, he knows instantly it’s a woman - and he has no choice but to take them along. Their wagon is packed and ready to go.

The weeks ahead will bring many challenges, heartbreak and hardships. Does Phoebe have the strength to get them safely to Oregon? And, can she learn to trust Colton to help when it’s needed?

You can download your copy here

No comments: