Thursday, December 4, 2014

A Christmas Carol---Gets Me Every Time



So, we went to the play A Christmas Carol and as I sat in the theater in the round watching an amazing cast bring the story to life, I was re-evaluating my own priorities.  Was I a Scrooge?  Where could I improve and do better in noticing others' plight and helping them on their journey?

I love when a piece of literature can do that and it's even better when the characters are right in front of you, being acted out just like you imagined it when you read it.  I wonder if Dickens smiles down on people who take his work to heart.

But this little tradition of seeing/reading A Christmas Carol each year always puts me in the right frame of mind for the Christmas season.  Where have I been this past year?  Have I been kind and forgiving?  Have I been stingy and awful?  What decisions am I making in the present that will affect my future happiness? Do I need a ghostly visitation to remind me to be generous in my heart, spirit, and actions?

It was a fun and relaxing way to spend an evening, that's for sure.  But it also made me want to shout, "it's Christmas!"

Do you have any traditions that put you in the Christmas spirit?  Do you love The Christmas Carol?

1 comment:

Debra Erfert said...

We watched "Scrooge" last night--the 1970 version with Albert Finney. The musical produced the greatest songs! That set my mood for Christmas when it really hadn't been revved yet.