Thursday, October 8, 2020

A Lesson Learned the Hard Way


Things have been a bit crazy for me lately. A few days ago, I was at my desk working, when all of the sudden my screen went black. I wasn't that worried and pressed the button to reboot. When I couldn't get anything to work, I called in my husband and my son who are computer experts. And then I started to wonder when the last time I backed up my computer was. 

All my books. All my current work-in-progress. My pictures. Everything. Had I backed it all up? That's when I started to worry. 

But I had faith in my husband and son so I cleaned the whole house while I waited for the verdict. (I'm a stress cleaner). The news was grim. I'm not really that tech-savvy, but everything they said sounded bad. Corrupted files. Something about the hard drive. Scary stuff like that. The takeaway was my computer as it had been was dead. Kaput. But maybe they could still get some files off of it from the last backup. 

Maybe. 

They worked late that night and my sweet husband stayed up until two in the morning trying valiantly to get back what he could, then got up at six the next morning to keep trying. By noon that day my computer was running again, but I'd lost some files. Not everything. It wasn't catastrophic, but I've spent every moment since then trying to recreate the lost files. It's been stressful, but I'm finally feeling like I am where I was before the crash. And I'm so very grateful that I had backed up the important stuff and I have a sweet husband and son who worked so hard to get it all back for me. I am ready for a restful weekend!

No comments: