Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Taking Time to Remember

I just wanted to suspend my usual blog post to take a step back and remember those who lost their lives on September 11th.

As you all know I write books that deal with the military fighting against terrorists.  I've had to do a lot of research and I have met a lot of incredible people along the way.  I've talked with retired military men, active duty soldiers, detectives and policemen who walk our streets every day as I tried to make my books more authentic.  But what those experiences did for me beyond that was make me appreciate how many people in our world work hard, every day, to keep our world safe for us and for our children.

A teacher at the school my children attend lost her mother and aunt when the second plane crashed into the tower.  She can hardly speak of it without welling up with tears.  But she is so grateful to the men and women---both in uniform and just regular people---who tried to save others who were in the towers.  There were so many heroes that day and I believe their legacy lives on.

I think the greatest lesson that horrible day eleven years ago taught me was to make sure I tell my loved ones that I love them.  Never let them go out the door without knowing that.  Today is no different.  I told them when they left this morning and I'll tell them when they get home.  Because love will overcome evil every time.  I know it, and I think everyone affected by 9/11 proved it and continues to prove it every day.

When you think back to 9/11/01 what do you remember?

2 comments:

Angie said...

Nice post. Thank you, Julie.

Debra Erfert said...

I remember seeing it happen. I watched it on tv just after the first tower was struck, and I watched the plane twist sideways and slam into that second tower. I felt so helpless--and angry knowing there wasn't anything I could do to stop them. When I watch videos of it, I now understand what the high-pitched twittering sounds are--they're firemen's emergency alarms indicating they've stopped moving. It's the saddest sound in my memory.

I will never forget!