So it’s my birthday this week and I’ve been thinking about how wonderful this past year has been.
In the past year two amazing things happened.
1. I had a baby who is the happiest baby I’ve ever had. He just always has a smile on his face. He is such a joy and I’m so lucky to have him.
2. I put out a new novel. It was a labor of love on that one and I’m so glad it’s doing so well, even if it didn’t have a particularly smooth road to publication.
In the past year I’ve learned a few things, too.
1. I learned that all my precious 80s music is now on the oldies station. To tell you the truth, it was a shock when I turned to the oldies station and found a song I liked. Then they played another song I liked, then another, and then I knew I was in trouble. Oldies station, people. OLDIES!
2. I learned that I am totally going for comfort with my clothing these days, rather than looks. A woman came into the bookstore where I was signing books last Saturday and she was wearing pajama pants and some moccasin-looking slippers and I was jealous.
3. I learned that some of my best days are when I’m in a brain fog because I had to get up early with toddlers after a late night of staying up waiting for teenagers to come home from dates. Why are those my best days? Because then I don’t care if I am still in my pajamas and listening to the oldies station. I can just feel good about it!
So, on my birthday, I am going to be grateful to see another year, for my health, a great family, and the opportunities to do what I love to do. Pass me the fuzzy slippers, some Def Leppard tunes, and a computer screen with my work-in-progress on it and I’m a happy girl. Oh, and I won’t forget the chocolate. What birthday would be complete without that?